GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

1998 chevrolet: ride..1500 4x4..the torsion adjusting screws..steering

what is the proper ride height of 1998 chevrolet silverado k-1500 4x4 z-71 ? The control arm bushings upper and lower were changed. It appears that the shop did NOT match mark the torsion adjusting screws and now I have steering problems. I measured fender height at all 4 wheels LF 36 1/2 RF 35 5/8 LR 35 RR 36 5/8 inches. All are diffrent and the torsion screws are also adjusted at diffent heights Left side 13/16 inch and right side 15/16. Inches Help.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.

Welcome. The height is not measured at the fenders, it is measured at special points.

Here is a full document that shows the measuring and specs.

Trim Height Inspection

Z Height

Trim height is a predetermined measurement relating to vehicle ride height. Incorrect trim heights may cause symptoms similar to alignment problems. Check the trim heights when you diagnose steering or vibration complaints.

The Z dimension measurement determines the proper ride height for the front end. The Z dimension is different for RWD vehicles and S4WD or F4WD vehicles. The S4WD and F4WD vehicles have different points of measurement to determine Z height. Use the torsion bar adjusting arm in order to adjust Z height. RWD vehicles have no adjustment and could require replacement of suspension components.

Object Number: 88  Size: SH

On RWD vehicles, measure Z height from the center line of the bolt of the front lower control arm down to the lower inboard corner of the ball joint. Trim all Z heights at 89.0-101 mm (3.5-4.0 in).

Object Number: 91  Size: SH

On S4WD and F4WD vehicles, measure Z height from the center line of the pivot bolt (1) down to the lowest inboard edge of the steering knuckle (2).

Object Number: 92  Size: SH

For S4WD and F4WD vehicles, use the following measurements:

K1 and K2 models (except K10906 with L65 or K20906 with C6P) trim the Z height at 151.0-163.0 mm (5.9-6.4 in).
K1 and K2 models (K10906 with L65 or K20906 with C6P) trim the Z height at 139.0-151.0 mm (5.5-5.9 in).
K3 models trim the Z height at 139.0-151.0 mm (5.5-5.9 in).

Z Height Measurement

Measure the Z height using the following procedure:

Object Number: 130874  Size: SH

1. Lift the front bumper of the vehicle up around 38 mm (1.5 in).
  2. Gently remove your hands. Let the vehicle settle by itself.
  3. Repeat the jounce operation two more times for a total of three times.
  4. Measure the Z dimension.
  5. Push the front bumper of the vehicle down about 38 mm (1.5 in).
  6. Gently remove your hands. Let the vehicle rise by itself.
  7. Repeat the jounce operation two more times for a total of three times.
  8. Important: True trim height is the average of the high and low measurements.

9. Measure the Z dimension.
  10. Find the average of the high and low measurements. This is the true Z dimension.

D Height

The D dimension measurement determines the proper rear end ride height. There is no adjustment procedure. Repair may require replacement of suspension components.

Object Number: 93  Size: SH

D Height Measurement

Measure the D height using the following procedure:

Object Number: 130875  Size: SH

1. Lift the rear bumper of the vehicle up around 38 mm (1.5 in).
  4. Measure the D dimension.

9. Measure the D dimension.
  10. Find the average of the high and low measurements. This is the true D dimension.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So the binding of the steering and growning sound when turning left and right especially when turning into a drive way are more than likely due to mis alignment than over torquing the torsion bars ? What i need to know is what is the proper adjustment of the torsion bars. How do you know that the torsion bolts are equal?
The noise sounds like a 4wd issue, but you did not mention that. The bolts do not need to be equal, they are set by the height of the vehicle and often they never match in bolt depth. You perform the measurements and adjust the torsion bars as needed to get the height proper.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nothing was wrong PRIOR to the new bushings bothe sides have new cv joints and the truck 83750 miles all bet 200 miles in 4x4. I bought it new in 98 and have never had any problems with the 4x4. That why I was questioning the suspension work. It was the only change made in the last 3 days now the problem esists where it did not before. I was thinking that the front end was lifted "cranked up " by the shop thus changing the alingment and possibly the angles of the cv joints. Causing the grwning noise and stiff steering when turning.
It sound like it could be. If nothing else was done, then what else could it be. Have you asked the tech/shop that did the work? What did they say?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is back at the shop now they are working on it. Well see when I get it back. Thats why I wanted to know the proper heights so I could check it. I did mark the garage foor and write down the measurements so well see if changes were made. I dont quite understand the "ride" height adjustment for the z-71 suspension.
The height is dependant on the tires you have. That is why the measurements are using suspension components rather than height off the floor.
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.