Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

95 OLDS CUTLASS SUPREME SL: TEMP GAUGE..GAUGE GOES..TEMP SENSOR..TSB

Customer Question

I AM WORKING ON A 95 OLDS CUTLASS SUPREME SL, TEMP GAUGE GOES UP INTO THE RED, BUT DOES NOT OVER HEAT, REPLACED T STAT, TEMP SENSOR AND TEMP GAUGE SENSOR, TEMP GAUGE STILL WANTS TO GO UP. I HAVE BEEN TOLD THERE IS A TSB FOR THIS VEHICLE, PERTAINING TO THIS CONCERN. ANY HELP REGARDING THIS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED, I HAVE HAD THIS CUSTOMER'S CAR FOR 5 WEEKS. GM GARAGE HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO HELP ME. XXXXX XXXXX CLAYTON, NY

I HAVE ALREADY CHECKED THE INTAKE FOR LEAKS, ETC, I WAS TOLD THAT THERE WAS A THREE PRONG COOLANT TEMP SENSOR AVAILABLE WITH WIRING KIT, TO HOOK HEAD TEMP SENSOR INTO. IT COMES WITH A WIRING KIT TO ELIMINATE HEAD TEMP SENSOR. WHICH IS CAUSING THIS PROBLEM.

I WAS TOLD THIS BY A GM TECH WITH OVER 30 YEARS, HE CANT REMEMBER WHICH VEHICLE HE PERFORMED THIS ON. INVOLVED CARS ALSO INCLUDE BARETTA, CORSICA, AND OLDS, YEARS RANGE FROM 1992-1996.

THIS PART WAS ABLE TO BE PURCHASED THRU GM, HOWEVER, NO ONE SEEMS TO BE ABLE TO HELP ME AT THIS TIME
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
when the guage is red lined what is the coolant temp reading that the PCM is seeing?and will it always stay in the red?what temp will the coolant fan come on monitoring PCM temp data?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

THE COOLANT TEMP WILL GO INTO RED AND COME BACK OUT OF RED AND STAY THERE, COOLANT TEMP IS APPORX 205*. CHECKED OPERATION OF COOLANT FAN , COOLANT FAN DOES OPERATE, BUT DOES NOT GET HOT ENOUGH TO ACTIVATE FAN.

COOLANT DOES BUILD PRESSURE IN SYSTEM, OIL IS CLEAN, COOLANT LEVEL DOES NOT SEEM TO DROP.

Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
ok so the PCM is reading 205 and its not really overheating its just the guage reading is in the red?when it goes into the red then drops down then its fine for the day so to say?see im just trying to see if we have a simple guage lying to us or the engine will get that hot just to the red then drop down and stay just down of the red line.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

WHEN DRIVING VEHICLE TEMP WILL UP TO THREE QUARTERS OF THE WAY, WHEN STOP AND IDLING, VEHICLE GAUGE WILL CLIMB INTO THE RED, WHEN CHECK TEMP, VEHICLE IS NOT OVER HEATING.

WHEN I TALKED TO THE GM TECH, I WAS TOLD ABOUT A TSB AND A WIRING KIT TO RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM. ? .

I WAS ALSO TOLD IT INVOLVED BARETTA, CORSICA, AND OLDS RANGING FROM 1992-1996, WITH THE SAME PROBLEM

Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.

ok here is that bulletin

Date: November, 1993

SUBJECT:
TEMPERATURE GAGE READS HIGH, ENGINE DOES NOT OVERHEAT (INSTALL REVISED HARNESS AND COOLANT TEMPERATURE SENSOR)

MODELS:
1992-93 CHEVROLET CORSICA/BERETTA
(WITH 3.1 L V6, VIN T, RPO - LHO)

Condition:
Some vehicles may exhibit a high temperature gauge reading without an overheat condition.

Note: If the engine temperature indicator lamp is on *and* the temperature gauge reading is high, this procedure will not apply. Please refer to the appropriate service manual section.

Cause:
Coolant temperature sender location combined with a 2 wire sensor may cause local gauge readings which are not representative of entire coolant temperature.

Correction:
Verify if the cooling system is functioning properly.

1.Check cooling system for proper fill and insure that there are no leaks.

2.Check coolant for proper glycol/water mix. It must be set at -34 degrees Fahrenheit, (-1 degree Celsius), (50-50 mixture). Too much glycol reduces the heat transfer and will make the gauge indicate hot. Coolant should be checked from the radiator drain cock (not the surge tank). An optical refractometer (J23688 or J38633) should be used. They are temperature compensated.

3.Check ECM coolant temperature with vehicle fully warmed up. Tech I should read 196 - 206 degrees Fahrenheit, (91 - 97 degrees Celsius), at normal driving conditions. At prolonged idle, ECM temperature will increase as total system heats up until coolant fans activate at 228 degrees Fahrenheit, (109 degrees Celsius).

4.Check sender and gauge function using appropriate Service Manual procedure. If no other causes for gauge high temperature readings are found, replace ECM temperature sensor with a new 3 wire temperature sensor (located in the intake manifold) and install revised harness. The revised harness will allow the temperature gage to obtain temperature readings from the coolant sending unit located in the intake manifold, allowing the temperature gauge to be representative of the entire coolant system.

1.Remove air cleaner assembly.

2.Locate the coolant temperature sensor connector from injector harness.

3.Cut off and splice the kit supplied harness to the harness end of the connector. Stagger the cuts so the splices do not overlap, approximately 40 mm (1-1/2") apart.

4.Splice like wires, purple to purple, yellow to yellow.

5.Remove insulation 10 mm (3/8").

6.Slip heat shrink wrap over wire before splicing wire.

7.Solder wire ends. Insure the connection is secure.

8.Slide heat shrink wrap over splice and heat with heat gun until sealed.

9.Cover with plastic conduit and tape conduit.

10.Secure the harness along the engine wire harness with wire ties supplied in the kit.

11.Disconnect coolant sender connector located on right side of engine (view A) and connect new coolant sensor harness into respective terminals. See Figures 1 and 2.

Parts Information

Harness Kit P/N 12154414

Sensor P/N 10096181

Parts are currently available from GMSPO

Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience: 15 years GM master tech
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
i hope thats what you needed..let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I AM CHECKING ON THE SENSOR, I AM BEING THE TOLD THAT THE HARNESS KIT IS DISCONTINUED. YOU DID A FANTASTIC JOB FINDING THE TSB SO QUICKLY, NO ONE ELSE COULD. I SHOULD HAVE THE SENSOR IN AN HOUR.
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
ok if that doesn't work and you ARE SURE it is not over heating you can get a few resistors and if you add the right resistor to the wire to the temp guage it will bring the needle down to where it belongs we had to do that to the blazers with digital temp guages we added a resistor in line to the sensor to brings the temp guage reading to were it was really at for engine temp
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
how did you make out?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

3/12/10 SORRY, IT TOOK SO LONG TO GET BACK TO YOU, I WAS BACKED UP HERE AT THE GARAGE, I WAS ABLE TO GET BACK ON THIS VEHICLE TODAY,

I INSTALLED THE THREE WIRE COOLANT TEMP SENSOR AND WIRED THE HEAD TEMP SENSOR INTO IT. I RAN THE VEHICLE AND THE GAUGE NO LONGER OVERHEATS, THE VEHICLE SHOWS NO SIGNS OF OVER HEATING. THE COOLANT FAN KICKS ON AND OFF AS IT SHOULD.

CUSTOMER IS VERY HAPPY. I AM VERY HAPPY, YOU WERE AN ASSET TO ME AND MY BUSINESS. THANK YOU, XXXXX XXXXX

FREDERICK JACKSON JR. @ FRED'S QUICK LUBE AND AUTO SERVICE CENTER CLAYTON, NY

Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
great im glad its fixed