Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

2005 Saturn Ion Coolant warning message

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Saturn Ion with 60k miles. The Coolant message comes on after approx. 10 seconds after start, and has displayed for approximately 3 months now. A week in, I had the coolant flushed and re-filled at a shop but the problem has persisted since. The level is at the cold fill line in the reservoir and far above that after running so there's no way that the level is low. Is it possible that the coolant level sensor at the bottom of the reservoir is bad? And if so, does that mean buying a completely new reservoir to get a new sensor, or is there a fix for the current sensor/reservoir?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Disconnect the connector and jump a wire across the connector and if the light shuts off then the sensor is the problem. Usually the sensor is seperate but I dont see a part # XXXXX it so it may be part of the reservoir. If thats the case the reservoir costs about $50 from the dealer. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.