Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service manager of Firestone

2000 Monte Carlo SS: 3.8L..V6..car died..It will crank but dies

I have a 2000 Monte Carlo SS 3.8L V6. The car died while driving. It will crank but dies immediately. If I hold down the pedal while trying to start it will not crank but on the next attempt it will run for a few seconds. The fuel filter appeared to be fairly clean. I did a pressure test and the fuel rail and i am getting 56 psi while the pump is running and 48 psi static.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
Is there a theft light flashing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not when the key is in the on position. Oh, i also tried disonnecting the battery for 20 mins to reset everything.
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX check engine light turn on? Or was there an engine light on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There had been, according to autozone the code was a low coolant level which is false. The coolant level switch is bad and i havent changed it yet. But disconnecting the battery cleared the light.
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Ok, let me make sure I have this right,
The vehicle will start and stall. (Sometimes start hard)
Fuel pressure is good.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, starts then stalls out an dies. I dont know fuel pressure specs. I'm getting 48 psi static and 56 when the pump is running but the car is off.
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Does the check engine light turn on when you turn the key on? As it should?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, then goes away when you start the engine. It does not come back on after the engine dies though. Only after you turn the ignition off then back on does it come back on.
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX good.
Try unplugging the mass air flow sensor. See if the vehicle will stay running.
The MAF is located on the hose coming from the air filter box.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nope, same problem.
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for trying, okay try holding the throttle open slightly. See if the vehicle will stay running.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had already tried that. No it will not stay running, in fact it runs for a shorter period of time or doesnt start at all. However, on the next attempt (without pressing the pedal) it will run for longer than normal.
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Ok then try blocking the throttle completely and see if it will stay running. (indicating a vacuum leak somewhere)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You mean blocking the air intake completely?
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Yep
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. I put a plastic bag over it. It would stay running a little longer but it ran very rough and would die out after a few seconds more than before. I could even get it to stay running for a short time by pumping the gas pedal, but it would not rev up and would eventually die.
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Okay, thanks.
This is my last test, disconnect the MAP sensor. Will it run? Does the MAP sensor have a good ground and a 5v reference on the gray wire?graphic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes it will idle with the MAP sensor disconnected ( i returned the intake manifold to its normal position on the air filter), if i try to rev it up the engine will die. And if i reconnect the MAP sensor while the engine is idling it will die. Do i need to replace my MAP sensor? If thats the answer i have no problem hitting the accept, you've been a big help.
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
That's what it sounds like to me. The MAP sensor has been known to cause the vehicle to start/stall. So yes, replace the map sensor.
I should of started with this sensor. lol.
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Certified Service manager of Firestone