Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2000 chevy malibu: engine code po412..secondary air

Customer Question

I have a 2000 chevy malibu that was manufactured to california emissions. I live in Georgia. The computer is generating an engine code po412 for secondary air injection system problem. My mechanic can find no evidence of the engine ever having an air pump on it. There appears to be no room beside the driver's side front wheel for a pump. There is a pig tail on the front left side of the engine with nothing attached. My mechanic attached a solenoid to the pig tail and it seemed to make the computer happy for a while but, eventually it generated the code again. Help!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.

Hello there!

You might have a bad air injection reaction solenoid. THis is very common. Be sure that is has power to it with the key on and that its getting a signal from the computer to operate. IF this solenoid is disconnected, it will definitely cause this code.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Where is this solenoid located and what connects to it?
What should I tell my mechanic to look for as an indication that the computer is giving a signal for the solenoid to operate?
Do you feel that this is not an issue of the computer looking for a secondary air injection pump?
I just looked at the failed emissions test and the description reads as follows:

PO412 - Secondary Air Injection Sys Switching Valve A Ci
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.

YUP! THats it!

P0412 Secondary Air System Solenoid Circuit Malfunction

Possible Causes
AIR solenoid connector is damaged (inspect pins for damage, and moisture)
AIR solenoid control circuit is open
AIR solenoid control circuit is shorted to ground or shorted to voltage
AIR solenoid Ignition circuit is open (check the AIR PMP fuse in junction box)
AIR solenoid has failed

Here is a picture of the pump. The solenoid will be near by.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
AMEDEE: The picture you provided is the same one my mechanic printed out off of ALLDATA. The problem is that there is no air pump on the vehicle and no evidence that there ever was one. Are you saying that there probably is a solenoid even though there is no pump? If so, I can look again and try to track down the solenoid.

Expert:  AMEDEE replied 6 years ago.
Well, normally these vehicles do NOT have air pumps or an air injection system. ONLY California models. I don't know if your vehicle was manufactured in California or not. You will have to look on the sticker on the side of the door. If it is suppose to have this air injection system, then chances are some one removed all of the components of the AIR injection system and that is why its setting this code. IF this is the case, the correct fix would be to put everything back on and get it working again.