Tim West
Tim West, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Service manager of Firestone
9949505

My turn signal lights are not working but makes a buzzing noise

Customer Question

My turn signal lights are not working but makes a buzzing noise when i engaged the turning lights. i've recently had the hazard light wires replace but i'm still having the same problem. Help
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for visiting Just Answer,
Are the hazards working?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it's actually an 03 impala ....and yes the hazards lights are working

Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX post is going to be an answer, FYI you will not be able to see my answer unless you make a deposit.
If you make a deposit does not mean you have to accept my answer, but just see it. At that time you can make a decision if you want to accept my answer, or choose to talk to another expert.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i've already spent so much money already on what i've been told was wrong with my car. how do i know if you are correct?
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Well, you won't know if I am right until you try it. I can tell you I have seen this problem before.
Don't click accpet until you have verified.
The problem is with the ignition switch,

Check for low voltage on the T/SIG fuse when the condition is present.
If the power is good at this fuse, the problem isn't with th turn signal switch or flasher.
Therefore, the ignition switch will fix it.
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.

Do you need help making this repair?

Edited by Tim West on 2/24/2010 at 2:35 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
at this point IDK...i just left the dealership and no one mention having to have that repaired
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i've check online and there are two ignitions switches...would i have to have the Column swicth or the Electrical Switch replaced?
Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for the delay I had to shovel some snow for my wife.
You went to the dealer for this? They couldn't find the problem?
This would be an electrical switch.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no problem i used to live in omaha ...so i know all about snow :)

yeah..i had a diagnostic test done... they replace the hazard wires which i won't tell you how much that costed.... said i needed a new battery...i called them and now there saying that the ignition switch could be a problem. but they wont know for sure.

Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
Yea I live in Texas, I made my first snow man yesterday. It was actually pretty exciting.
So they have been trying to fix this problem with no help. That stinks. The problem really sounds like a failure with turn signal system. I see where they would think so.
I have seen someone pull their hair out over this problem before.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

LOL...yeah i'm halfway there.

I heard that texas had a lot of snow. everyone should have atleast make one or two snowmen in there lives.

thanks for taking the time to help me

Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
No problem, I am going to be here all day, so if you need any other info just let me know. Don't go bald on this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi,

the guy is saying that the electrical switch is fine and doesn't need to be repaired. . .and is now saying that it's possibly the key that i have. and now want my original key and not the copy that i gave him.

Expert:  Tim West replied 4 years ago.
So he is saying no go on the switch, maybe the key?
I have never heard of that problem, but if it's a problem with the key, you are likely to have a problem starting the vehicle. Just a thought. I can't believe this problem hasn't been solved yet. Must be a busy mechanic.