Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

2001 chevy malibu: headlights..bulbs..brights work, but i cant figure

I have a 2001 chevy malibu and the headlights went out. I changed both bulbs but they still don't work. The brights work, but i cant figure out why they just went out a i don't know how to fix it.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.
High beam and low beam lights both get their power from the same fuses. The ground for the low beam lamps comes from the headlamp dimmer switch (turn signal switch) The problem is most likely a bad headlamp dimmer switch. To test this, you can jumper a ground wire to the dark blue wire coming out of the headlamp dimmer switch. If the low beams come on, you then need to replace the turn signal switch.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Ok. This might be dumb, but where is the headlamp dimmer swith located on a 2001 chevy mailbu? Also, both of my turn signals work so does that make a differenc?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.
The headlamp dimmer switch is built into the turn signal switch. This switch is actually called a multi-function switch because it controls headlight dimming , turn signals, sometimes also incorporates switches for the hazard flashers and cruise control It does not matter that the turn signals both work, the circuits are separate, but still reside within the same switch assembly.