Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

1996 GMC: TRANSFER CASE?

1996 GMC JIMMY THE TRUCK DONT MOVE FORWARD OR REVERSE. cOULD IT BE THE TRANSMISSION? THE TRANSFER CASE? OR SOMETHING ELSE.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
ok one way to tell is if the truck is shifter into park will it stop the truck from moving forwards and backwards?yah know what i mean in park the truck should not roll.let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well from what i was told by the person who had the truck is that the truck starts up but when they put it into drive or reverse it dont move.I know the truck has a transfercase also.and you can move the transfer case from 4wd to neutral and etc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What i mean is the transmission is in park and the neutral safety switch is able to start the engine up you know.

Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.

shift the transfer case into 2wd shift the trans into park.see if it will roll or the truck will not roll forwards or backwards..this will show us if its in the trans or the transfer case.do you understand what im asking you to do?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes you want me to check to see if the transfer case locks so the truck cant move and also to see if the transmission locks up as well right?
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
if the truck will NOT move when in park then it shows the transfercase is good
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

now if the say the transfer case is good could it possible be either the trnasmission or the rear differental? I would have to start it to find out if the transmission works?

Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
if it was the rear diff when in drive or reverse look under and see if the drive shaft is spinning to rear diff.if it is NOT spinning and when the truck is in park and it will not move forwards or backwards then there is an internal trans problem
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok would there be anything else that will not let the transmission move?
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
no..either trans,transfer case,rear diff.and i just said how to confirm what is good and what is bad.if case and rear diff are good then the trans has internally failed
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience: 15 years GM master tech
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you very much for your help and thanks for the answer
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
anytime
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi its me with the jimmy again.The truck runs and when i shift the transmission in drive i feel it engage and when i put it in reverse it moves backwards.I thing the transmission is not bad but something is locking it in the rear left wheel.When i got it towed to my house i have noticed that one wheel on the left was not moving.Could it be that the brakes locked up so the truck dont move forward?
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
when it is in drive you feel it engage.will it rev up and not move?or will it just act like you have the brake on and it will try to move forward?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
move like the brake is on
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
jack up the back end and see if it will spin the rear wheel forward
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi the transmission moves the truck found out the the parking brake was on and it didnt let the transmission move the truck.Im having a problem with the brakes and when i got the truck the banjo bolt from the left sie front caliber was missing and the rear brake line was broken.I fixed the rear brake line and also i got a banjo bolt for the front caliber.Now the brake light is on but i bleed the brakes and it got some height on the pedal and some pressure.. The brake light is still on and need some help with this jimmy
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
the brakes need to be bled using a scan tool.to activate the ABS to stroke the internal valves to remove the air in the brake system
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
what type of scan tool i need.i only have a xray 6000 that reads the trouble codes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is there another way i can get the air out of the system without the scan tool
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
no you have to use a scan tool
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is it like the one the dealership use or i can use my xray 6000
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
funning thing when i turn on the truck and run it the light blinked
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
you talking about a scan tool for the abs? not for the engine right?
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
try the scanner you have and go into ABS and see if it gives you the function to bleed
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok im going to try that right now and ill be right back to let you know what happen ok?

Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My scan tool dont have that in it. does the abs pump need to come on to remove the air in the system
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
the ABS needs to be told you are bleeding and with a scan tool is the only way to do this
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
damn now i know i wont. be able to get the air out of the system
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
im sorry wish there was another way
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So with the scanner it would let the abs open up so it can be bled?I want to ask you why in the manual it says it can be bled as a truck without abs? Why they lie about that

Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
the only way to get all the air out is with a scan tool.yes the scanner will open the passages to allow the air to get out of the ABS module
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I want to ask you if you got some brake on the truck is it safe to drive? or it shoulnt be driven.I drove the truckand the back brakes grab,and the on caliber in the front brake grab but i think the left one that was open isnt work as good. What is your input but me doing this
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
just be safe make sure you can stop safely.but get those brakes bled properly
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok im going to see if anybody i know have a scan tool for the abs. I want to bleed the brakes right so there wont be any problems.Thanks for everything and have a great day GNwrench
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
anytime
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Gn wrech how you doing.I have a question to ask you and ill pay youfor the question. The 1996 jimmy 4.3 has a gas mseel in the truck and i was trying to find out where the smell is coming from,Can you help me with this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
gas smell inside the truck when driving and sitting still
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
ok while driving you smell it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes when driving i also poulled two codes out of it. I dont remember the codes but one said about the cat in the exhaust and the other said about the evaproative system malfucntion
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
if you smell raw gas when driving there is a fuel leak under the hood inspect ALL fuel line into the engine and do a visual.use your nose to narrow down the smell area
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Also the fuel cap when you open to put fuel in it has a lot of pressure releasing when you open the fuel cap,is that normal or a problem in the tank
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
usually is normal but go after the smell under the hood with your nose and let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i know there is the spider fuel injectors in the intake manifold.Could the fuel pressure regulator be now working.Also its burning a lot of fuel, the fuel goes quickly
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
more than likely it is the fuel pressure regulator causing this it is located on the spider unit and will cause this exact problem.so if you don't see the leak the upper intake needs to come off turn the key on and look and see if gas it pouring out from the regulator or the lines to the spider under the intake
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if the spdier is leaking do chevy have a recall on the old spider to replace for free? I know the spider costs a lot of money
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
they do if the poppet's are clogged up and causing a misfire.you can call your local dealer with your VIN number and have them check
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience: 15 years GM master tech