Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Whats the trick to removing the upper intake manifild on a

What's the trick to removing the upper intake manifild on a 99 Vortec 5.7L? I need to replace teh fuel pressure regulator. I have the bolts off and the upper unit is loose. Do I have to remove the injectors to lift it off? If so, how?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.

Once you have all the studs out that hold the upper manifold on to the lower manifold, lift the manifold and use a flat bladed screwdriver to release the electrical connector for the fuel injectors. The connector will stay with the injectors and the lower manifold. It may be a little stuck.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Screwdriver through the throttle body port opening? I don't have enough clearance any place else. And prior on what? Lots of plastic in there to break. :-)

I don't see an electrical connector in the diagram nor do I see one inside the manifold. Can I see what I'm prying or am I guessing?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.

Right behind the throttle body is where the electrical connector is. There are 16 pins in this opening for the injectors. This connector is located at the arrow in the picture below. Lift up on the manifold while pushing down on this connector. There is a rubber seal around the connector that seals it to the upper manifold, so it can stick a little. Place a screwdriver in the area of the pins and push straight down.