Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

Change spark plugs in 2006 colorado

change spark plugs in 2006 colorado
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Hello, the job is a little more involved in that each spark plug has its own coil on top of it. You have to get the coils removed then remove the plugs. below is information on how to get the coils off

EMOVAL PROCEDURE
  1. Remove the air cleaner resonator and outlet duct.

1. Disconnect the engine wiring harness electrical connector (1) from the oil pressure sensor (2).

1. Disconnect the engine wiring harness retainers (1) from the power steering pump (2).

1. Disconnect the engine wiring harness electrical connectors (1, 4) from the following:
    • The exhaust camshaft position (CMP) sensor (5)
    • The camshaft position (CMP) actuator solenoid valve (6)
  1. Disconnect the engine wiring harness retainer (2) from the camshaft cover (3).

1. Disconnect the engine wiring harness electrical connectors from the following:
    • The engine coolant temperature (ECT) sensor (1)
    • The fuel injector harness (2)
    • The ignition coils (4)
    • The heated oxygen sensor (HO2S) (5)

1. Disconnect the engine wiring harness electrical connector from the intake camshaft position (CMP) sensor.

1. Carefully disengage the engine wiring harness conduit from the camshaft cover, and position aside.

1. Remove the ignition coil bolts.
  2. Remove the ignition coils from the camshaft cover.
INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the ignition coils into the camshaft cover. IMPORTANT: Ensure the ignition coil seals are properly seated to the camshaft cover.
  2. Install the ignition coil bolts. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions. Tighten the ignition coil bolts to 10 N.m (89 lb in) .

1. Attach the engine wiring harness conduit to the camshaft cover.

1. Connect the engine wiring harness electrical connector to the intake CMP sensor.

1. Connect the engine wiring harness electrical connectors to the following:
    • The ECT sensor (1)
    • The fuel injector harness (2)
    • The ignition coils (4)
    • The HO2S (5)

1. Connect the engine wiring harness electrical connectors (1, 4) to the following:
    • The exhaust CMP sensor (5)
    • The CMP actuator solenoid valve (6)
  1. Connect the engine wiring harness retainer (2) to the camshaft cover (3).

1. Connect the engine wiring harness retainers (1) to the power steering pump (2).

1. Connect the engine wiring harness electrical connector (1) to the oil pressure sensor (2).
  2. Install the air cleaner resonator and outlet duct.

SPARK PLUG REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Remove the ignition coils.

1. Clean the spark plug recesses with low pressure air. CAUTION: Wear safety glasses when using compressed air, as flying dirt particles may cause eye injury . NOTE: Clean the spark plug recess area before removing the spark plug. Failure to do so could result in engine damage because of dirt or foreign material entering the cylinder head, or by the contamination of the cylinder head threads. The contaminated threads may prevent the proper seating of the new plug. Use a thread chaser to clean the threads of any contamination.
  2. Remove the spark plugs from the cylinder head. NOTE: Allow the engine to cool before removing the spark plugs. Attempting to remove the spark plugs from a hot engine may cause the plug threads to seize, causing damage to cylinder head threads.
  3. Inspect the spark plugs. Refer to Spark Plug Inspection. See: Testing and Inspection
INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Measure the spark plug gap on the spark plugs to be installed. Compare the measurement to the gap specifications, correct as necessary. NOTE:
    • Use only the spark plugs specified for use in the vehicle. Do not install spark plugs that are either hotter or colder than those specified for the vehicle. Installing spark plugs of another type can severely damage the engine.
    • Check the gap of all new and reconditioned spark plugs before installation. The pre-set gaps may have changed during handling. Use a round feeler gage to ensure an accurate check. Installing the spark plugs with the wrong gap can cause poor engine performance and may even damage the engine.

1. Install the spark plugs to the cylinder head. NOTE:
    • Be sure that the spark plug threads smoothly into the cylinder head and the spark plug is fully seated. Use a thread chaser, if necessary, to clean threads in the cylinder head. Cross-threading or failing to fully seat the spark plug can cause overheating of the plug, exhaust blow-by, or thread damage.
    • Refer to Component Fastener Tightening Notice in Service Precautions.
Tighten the spark plugs to 18 N.m (13 lb ft) .

1. Install the ignition coils.

Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist