Ask Don 'Mo Lurch' Your Own Que...
Don 'Mo Lurch'
Don 'Mo Lurch', Auto Mech / Electronics
Experience:  Chevrolet Cert., Heavy Line Mech, Race Shop Owner, Mobile Electronics.
1609972

2000 Chevy s10: I need to replace my fuel filter..pickup..relief valve

I need to replace my fuel filter on a 2000 Chevy s10 pickup- it seems pretty straight forward, but some people have told me I need to relieve the pressure with a relief valve, I don't see one in my manual, is it necessary?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Don 'Mo Lurch' replied 6 years ago.

You didn't post the engine size, but typically it is best to relieve Fuel Pressure at the Fuel Rail / Injector Rail.
Looks like a Schrader Valve

Disconnect the negative battery cable to assure the prevention of fuel spillage if the ignition switch is accidentally turned ON while a fitting is still detached.
Loosen the fuel filler cap to release the fuel tank pressure.
Be sure the release valve on the fuel gauge is closed, then connect the fuel gauge to the pressure fitting located on the inlet fuel pipe fitting.

CAUTION
When connecting the gauge to the fitting, be sure to wrap a rag around the fitting to avoid spillage. After repairs, place the rag in an approved container.

Install the bleed hose portion of the fuel gauge assembly into an approved container, then open the gauge release valve and bleed the fuel pressure from the system.
When the gauge is removed, be sure to open the bleed valve and drain all fuel from the gauge assembly.
When fuel service is finished, tighten the fuel filler cap and connect the negative battery cable.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The engine is a V6, 4.3L I believe. Is there a way to do it without a fuel gauge assembly as I dont have one?

Yes, you can relieve pressure at the valve.
Disconnect Battery, wrap with rag & you should wear safety glasses, then push down on middle of valve, to release fuel