Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness

2007 Chevy: 5.3 V-8.What..lifter..500 miles..000 mile

I have a 2007 Chevy Silverado with 5.3 V-8.What could cause a short duration lifter tick noise on cold start?Most of the time it only lasts for a five seconds or so.But sometimes it lasts for up to several minutes.
Notes: 15,500 miles on truck.Regular maintainance has been performed including oil and filter changes.I have owned this truck since the 9,000 mile mark.It was a one owner truck. I noticed this problem since shortly after I purchased it.
Thanks for your answer.
Tim
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ted G. replied 4 years ago.
There have been some issues with the pistons wearing slightly on the thrust sides that will cause a lifter like noise for a short time on cold start. Basically all GM says is that it happens and it won't hurt longevity, but to stop it you have to replace pistons. If you are still under warranty I would bang on them hard because yours is low mileage and it will get worse. Also be aware of your coolant level, if you seem to have a slow coolant loss it can be due to cylinder head leakage causing coolant to enter the oil, this will cause lifter noise. Supposedly they didn't have the issue on 2007 vehicles, but I have seen one early production 07 with the Castech heads, so they may have had left-overs.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What do you mean when you say "Bang on them hard because of low mileage and it will get worse"? This was an early production vehicle in 07,the previous owner purchased it in April.Also do you suggest anything at all I can do? And why does at times does it take longer for the noise to stop?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 4 years ago.
I mean push the dealer to acknowledge the symptom and cover the repair under warranty. If the engine is making noise at 15,500 miles, it will be really bad by 60,000, which is where it usually starts. If it is early production they should check for Castech heads and if they have failed (it leaves a trace under the valve cover) and if there is no other explanation they will have to look at pistons or an engine. If you do not have any underlying warranty left I would purchase an extended warranty to cover it if you do end up with a failure.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Doesn't chevy have a100,000 mile warranty on engine and drivetrain?Also I found a service bulletin#PIP4499 " Short duration lifter tick noise on cold or hot restart"-dated Oct.7 2008 Document ID;2197751- please look at this,maybe it would help.
Expert:  Ted G. replied 4 years ago.
Yes there is 100k, I didn't know if it transferred to a second owner. And yes, that bulletin describes how to diagnose your issue, and determine if it is piston or lifter noise. But the noise has to occur for a while to do it, so you may have to wait for it to get worse. If the warranty transfers to you then just wait it out until it lasts longer. Also make sure you use AC filters since some aftermarket filters have been suspected of causing the lifter noise.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 20 years auto repair experience, ASE Master Tech, Mechanical Failure consultant, Expert Witness