Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

how do you remove oil cooler lines on a 2003 silverado 2500

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

hi

this should help you'

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Service and Repair

Removal Procedure
The engine oil cooler is an integral part of the radiator. The oil cooler lines are serviceable.

1. Remove the plastic cap from the connector by pulling back along the pipe.

1. Use a small pick-type tool or screwdriver in order to release 1 of the open ends of the retaining ring from the connector fitting.

1. Rotate the retaining ring out of position on the connector fitting. Remove the ring completely.
  2. Discard the retaining ring clip.

1. Pull outward on the pipe in order to remove the pipe from the connector fitting.

1. Disengage the oil cooler line retaining clip at the fan shroud.
  2. Remove the oil cooler line from the radiator).
  3. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
  4. Remove the under body protective shields.

1. Remove the oil cooler line junction block bolts.
  2. Remove the oil cooler line clip bolt.
  3. Remove the oil cooler lines.
  4. Discard the gasket.
  5. Inspect all of the fittings, the connectors and the cooler lines for damage or distortion.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the oil cooler lines using a new gasket. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  2. Install the oil cooler line junction block bolts. Tighten the bolts to 9 N.m (80 lb in).
  3. Install the oil cooler line clip bolt. Tighten the bolts to 50 N.m (37 lb ft).

1. Install the retaining clip into the connector fittings. Do not reuse the existing retaining clips removed from the cooler line connector fittings. The retaining clips being put into the cooler line connector fittings must be new.
  2. Using your thumb and forefinger, insert a new retaining clip into 1 of the 3 connector fitting recesses. Ensure the retaining clip engages all 3 slots in the connector fittings. Failure to properly install the connector clips could cause the cooler lines to come loose and cause damage to the engine.

1. With 1 end of the retaining clip engaged in the connector fitting slot, use your thumb in order to rotate the retaining clip around the connector fittings, until the retaining clip snaps into place.

1. Do not install the new retaining ring onto the fitting by pushing the retaining ring.

1. Ensure that the 3 retaining ring ears are seen from inside the fitting and that the retaining ring moves freely in the fitting slots.
  2. Install the new retaining ring into the remaining quick connect fittings.

1. Install the under body protective shields.
  2. Remove the safety stands.
  3. Lower the vehicle.
  4. Install the oil cooler line to the radiator.
  5. Engage the oil cooler lines to the retaining clip at the fan shroud.

1. Install the cooler lines to the vehicle. Ensure the cooler line being installed has a plastic cap on each end that connects to the quick connect fitting. If no plastic cap exists, or the plastic cap is damaged, obtain a new cap. Position the cap on to the cooler line prior to the cooler line installation.

1. Install the cooler line into the quick connect fitting.
  2. Insert the cooler line end into the quick connect fitting until a click is either heard or felt.

1. Do not use the plastic cap on the cooler line in order to install the cooler line into the fitting.
  2. Pull back sharply on the cooler line in order to ensure that the cooler line is fastened into the quick connect fitting.

1. Position (snap) the plastic cap onto the fitting. Do not manually depress the retaining ring when installing the plastic cap onto the quick connect fitting.
  2. Ensure that the plastic cap is fully seated against the fitting.

1. Ensure that no gap is present between the cap and the fitting.

1. Ensure that the yellow identification band on the tube is hidden within the quick connect fitting. A hidden yellow identification band indicates proper joint seating.

1. Do not install the cooler line end into the fitting incorrectly.
  2. Run the engine. Inspect the cooling system for leaks.
  3. Inspect the engine oil level.