JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech

2007 chevy: this morning i went out to start it and it stalled quickly

Customer Question

My 2007 chevy silverado will not start . this morning i went out to start it and it stalled quickly . i tried 2 more times and both times it stalled. now it wont even turn over. i removed neg battery cable for a couple minutes then replaced it turned over again only to stall . tried tis again a few more times but it won't stay running , it almost seems like some sort of sensor is shutting it down.... Help I cannot afford this , i need to fix it myself.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 4 years ago.
is the security or theft light on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it is but i think that it comes on ewith the dash lights when you start it

it should come on then go off after the self system check

Ok its stuck in security mode

OK, there may be an issue with the security system, but lets try a relearn procedure. It is posted below. Try it an let me know what happens.

30-Minute Relearn Procedure

Use this procedure after replacing any of the following components:

The PASS-Key III plus keys
The theft deterrent module (TDM)
The powertrain control module (PCM)
This procedure is not available on vehicles equipped with EXPORT configured TDMs.
When performing the 30-minute relearn procedure, all previously learned keys will be erased from the TDM memory. Additional keys may be learned after performing the relearn procedure.When replacing a TDM with a GM SPO Replacement Part, ensure the procedure to setup a new TDM is performed prior to the 30-Minute Relearn Procedure.

1. With a master vehicle key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Observe the security indicator. After approximately 10 minutes, the telltale will turn OFF.
  3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
  4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

Important: The vehicle learns the key transponder information and/or passwords on the ignition switch transition from OFF to RUN. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

5. With a master vehicle key, start the vehicle. The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information and/or the ECM has now learned the fuel continue password.
  6. If additional keys are required to be learned, continue to step 7.
  7. With a previously learned master key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  8. Turn OFF the ignition and remove the key.
  9. Within 10 seconds insert the key to be learned. Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF. The vehicle has now learned the new key.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have tried this once and it hasn't worked. i will try again anything else? i notice the security light goes out for a few seconds with the other lights right after you first turn the key on , but then it reappears.

it is stuck in theft mode the ignition key switch may require replacement...try the relearn first

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i am having no luck sometimes locked car light dissappears i try to start it with no luck ? any other suggestions . is this something that only the dealer can fix?
most likl;ey the ignition key switch will require replacement...The dealer is the best option
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
would you have any idea what this is gonna cost me?
around 350
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have gotten the truck running but none of the gauges or radio work right and then i shut it down and it wont work again......
this is a problem with the high speed data line. the last one of these I had, I spent 19 hours to find a bad terminal on the high speed data line at connector X1 at the ip juntion bloc

Loss Of High Speed GMLAN Communications, Intermittent No Crank, IP Gauge Fluctuation, Intermittent Door Lock Cycling, Intermittent Chime Operation, Various IP Warning Lamps Illuminated, Transmission May Not Shift, Communication DTCs U0073, U0100, U0101, U0102, U0109, U0121 or U0140 Set (Repair Backed Out Terminal In Transmission Harness Connector, Repair Open or Shorted GM High Speed LAN Circuits, Open or Shorted Data Link Resistor, Correct Corrosion or Poor Connections in Various Control Module Connectors)

Some customers may comment on any of the following conditions:

Instrument panel cluster (IPC) warning lamps may illuminate
The transmission may not shift or defaults to 2nd gear
The door locks may cycle by themselves
The engine may not crank intermittently
A driver information center (DIC) message is displayed
The IPC gauge. may fluctuate
Applying the brakes may cause the IPC to become erratic and the chimes to operate simultaneously

Depending on the vehicle, technicians may find one or more of the following High Speed GMLAN Communications DTCs set as Current or History:

U0073: Control Module Communications Bus OFF
U0100: Lost Communication With ECM/PCM
U0101: Lost Communication With TCM
U0102: Lost Communication With Transfer Case Control Module
U0109: Lost Communication With Fuel Pump Control Module
U0121: Lost Communication With ABS Control Module
U0140: Lost Communication With Body Control Module (BCM)

Cause

These conditions may be caused by, but not limited to, any of the following:

The terminal(s) for the High Speed GMLAN Serial Data Bus has backed out of the 16-way electrical connector to the automatic transmission.
The terminal position assurance (TPA) lock in the transmission 16-way electrical connector is not fully seated.
The High Speed GMLAN Serial Data Bus circuits are open or shorted to ground.
Corrosion in various control module connectors.
Intermittent or poor connections in the inline connectors containing the High Speed GMLAN Serial Data Bus circuits.
The data link resistor is open or shorted.
Water intrusion in various control module connectors
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
turns out the problem was a coroded sensor in the airbag system. apperantly it had been part of i recall that i was never informed of.
ok best of luck