Anthony
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.

2000 chevy malibu: v6..new thermo in and the heater..bleeder valve

Customer Question

ok i have a 2000 chevy malibu 3.1 v6 i put a new thermo in and the heater dont get hot i was told to bleed the sysem i tried with the cap on and all my fluid came out and with the cap off it seems like nouthing is comeing out what is the proper way to do this please help i am freeking out ps i am using the bleeder valve on top of the motor
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.

Hello!

Heres the procedure below:

Refilling

Notice

When adding coolant, it is important that you use GM Goodwrench DEX-COOLTM coolant. If coolant other than DEX-COOLTM is added to the system, the engine coolant will require change sooner: at 50 000 km (30,000 miles) or 24 months.

1. Close the radiator drain cock.
  2. If previously removed, install the engine block drain plugs. When installing the drain plugs, use pipe sealer GM P/N 12346004.

Important

On vehicles equipped with the 3.1L engine, open the coolant air bleed valve. The coolant air bleed valve is located on the top of the thermostat bypass pipe/heater pipe assembly. Close the valve once a continuous stream of coolant is expelled from the valve.

3. Fill the surge tank to the base of the filler neck.
  4. Start the engine with the pressure cap off. Run the engine until the upper radiator hose starts to get hot.
  5. If the coolant level in the surge tank is low, add the proper mix of coolant until the level reaches the full cold line.

Important

After servicing the cooling system, and if the vehicle is equipped with an intermittent low coolant light, an occasional low coolant light may be encountered during some extreme driving maneuvers. This complaint should be eliminated by removing the surge tank cap and adding coolant to a level just at or above the full cold line when the system is cold.

6. Install the cap onto the tank with hand tight pressure.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok i tried doing this after driveing all day do i need to let the car cool down before doing this agian?
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
Thats a big yes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok sorry to keep going but would that have maid a differance before? if i would have let it cool down
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
Your supposed to start with the engine cold then let the upper hose get hot. You have air in the system if nothing else is wrong. Follow the procedure and see how it does.
Anthony, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Automobile Technician with over 20 years exp. in this field.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok and last do i leave ble valve open while the car is worming up or open after its hot?
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
Open the bleeder while its off and cold. Then fill it with fluid until no air bubbles come out and all water. Close the bleeder then go by the procedure.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok but that dont tell me whan to re open the screew
Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.

Ok, real simple. Engine cold. Open bleeder. Fill with coolant until all water is coming out bleeder. Close bleeder then do the procedure below:

• Fill the surge tank to the base of the filler neck.
  • Start the engine with the pressure cap off. Run the engine until the upper radiator hose starts to get hot.
  • If the coolant level in the surge tank is low, add the proper mix of coolant until the level reaches the full cold line.

Important

• Install the cap onto the tank with hand tight pressure.
  • Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    i did that but water does not come out the bleeder when the car is off just when the car is on
    Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
    Try and fill the reservion right to the top and wait for the water.
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    ok did all that the heater gets hot when i drive but when i stop blows cold folowd step buy step and no the check light came on???
    Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
    Ok, I see now. The heater core is partially plugged. Have it flushed with a garden hose. What you do is take both hoses off the core. Hook a temp hose to a hose and one side of the core. Let it run through for a while. Then hook it all back up and you should have heat. If not, the core is plugged and has to be replaced
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    ok and what about the check light it just poped on?? after i did the steps u told me
    Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
    Whats it say to check, coolant or engine?
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    engine i dont have a coolant light would low coolant amke that light come on?
    Expert:  Anthony replied 4 years ago.
    Make sure the surge tank (coolant reservior). If it is then the light wil go out eventually.