GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

Gear shift cable 05 Trailblazer. Do you have to replace the

Gear shift cable 05 Trailblazer. Do you have to replace the entire cable? or does the end come off near the transmission shifter? This is where the problem lies with bushing that connects to shifter.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.
Welcome. May I Ask, did the transmission end just pop off or is that end damaged?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, in that the little bushing had become destoyed, and this item only comes with the new cable.

There is no after market bushing which probably cost 50 cents. Checked everywhere. Just do not want to have to run the entire cable if I do not have to.

OK. You are best to replace the whole assembly. Unfortunately, this will be a pain because the center console needs to be removed. Here is goes.

• Block the wheels to prevent the vehicle from moving.
  • Remove the rubber ash tray inserts and rubber mat from the console.
  • Object Number: 744528  Size: SH

• The floor shift control knob and boot are serviced as an assembly.
  • Loosen the set screw (3) or (1) for Buick models.
  • Push in at the base of the boot to release the locking tabs (2) from the console assembly.
  • Pull up to remove the knob and boot assembly from the transmission control (4).
  • Object Number: 741607  Size: SH

• Open the storage bin cover.
  • Remove the rubber mats covering the retaining screws.
  • Remove the 6 screws that retain the storage bin to the console.
  • Remove the storage bin from the console.
  • .
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  • Remove the center console retaining screws.
  • Adjust the parking brake to the full-up, or fully engaged position.
  • Slide the console rearward and raise the rear of the console in order to expose the electrical connectors.
  • Disconnect the electrical connectors, as necessary.
  • Adjust the parking brake to approximately the halfway position.
  • Remove the center console from the vehicle.
  • If replacing the floor console base, remove the following and retain for transfer:
  • 11.1. Remove the HVAC control module (if equipped).
    11.2. Remove the armrest.
    11.3. Remove the HVAC module and duct assembly.
    11.4. Remove the cupholder.
    11.5. Remove the HVAC upper duct.

Object Number: 744174  Size: SH

• Ensure that the vehicle is in the park position.
  • Raise the vehicle. .
  • Remove the end of the range selector cable from the transmission range selector lever ball stud (6).
  • Remove the retainer (5) from the range selector cable.
  • Remove the range selector cable (4) from the bracket (1).
  • Remove the cable from the retainer (3) on the floor panel. If the vehicle is equipped with 4WD, remove the cable from the retainers located on the transfer case.

• Object Number: 744168  Size: SH

• Push the cable grommet (2) up through the floor panel.
  • Lower the vehicle.

• Remove the drivers side front mat and carpet.
    Object Number: 744173  Size: SH

• Remove the end of the range selector cable (1) from the floor control ball stud.
  • Remove the range selector cable (2) from the floor shift control assembly.
  • Remove the tape and grommet on the shift cable from the floor panel.
  • Remove the range selector cable (3) from the vehicle.
  • Adjsutment

• Object Number: 744174  Size: SH

• Ensure that the range selector cable is not restricted.
  • Ensure that the floor shift control is in the PARK position.
  • Raise the vehicle. .
  • Disconnect the range selector cable (4) from the range selector lever ball stud (6).
  • Ensure that the range selector lever is in the mechanical PARK position. (Rotate the range selector lever fully clockwise.)

• Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

• Release the locking tab (1).

• Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

• Slide the secondary lock cover (1) to the side.
  • Carefully squeeze the locking tabs (2) together to disengage the primary lock.

• Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

• Pull the primary lock (1) up. Spring tension will push the end of the cable past the ball stud.
  • Important: If the cable end is pushed rearward past the ball stud during the adjustment procedure, it must be released and allowed to come forward of the ball stud. The cable end must then be pushed back just enough to be installed to the ball stud.

• Push the end of the cable until it is aligned with the ball stud.

• Object Number: 744174  Size: SH

• Install the cable (4) to the ball stud (6).

• Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

• Seat the primary lock (1) by pressing into the locked position.

• Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

• Slide the secondary lock (1) over the primary lock.

• Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

• Be sure that the secondary lock tab (1) is securely in place.
  • Lower the vehicle.
  • Check the vehicle for proper operation.
  • GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
    Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.