Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

2001 Chevy Tracker: the timing chain replaced..cylinder..changing

We have a 2001 Chevy Tracker that needs the timing chain replaced. It's a 6 cylinder. What is the procedure in changing this? Thanks Dan
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Hello, this engine uses 4 chains, One for oil pump, 2 for the cams, one for primary. Which info do you need for what chain? the files are large so I am trying to narrow down. Do you know how to remove the timing cover? if so would save some files to send and I can send just chain info. LMk thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We don't know yet till we get in there and find out which one is sloppy. We do know how to remove the timing cover.
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I will send the info next. I may send over 2-3 posts so do not repsond till I let you know i am finished. Thanks
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Primary chain:

Removal Procedure

Caution: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Remove the engine front cover.
  3. Remove the spark plugs. Notice: Refer to Timing Chain and Tensioner Removal Notice in Service Precautions. Important: The timing marks must be correctly aligned before disassembly in order to correctly install the timing chains.
  4. Rotate the crankshaft so that timing marks are aligned as shown in figure.
  5. Remove the left secondary timing chain.

1. Remove the timing chain guides and.
  2. Remove the timing chain tensioner adjuster.
  3. Remove the idler sprocket and the primary timing chain.
  4. Remove the idler sprocket and the sprocket shaft.
  5. Remove the timing chain tensioner.

1. Remove the right primary timing chain camshaft sprocket bolt while holding the right intake camshaft (2) with a wrench.
  2. Remove the right primary sprocket (1) from the intake camshaft.
  3. Remove the primary timing chain crankshaft sprocket.
  4. Inspect the following components for wear and damage:

1. Verify that the latch (1) and teeth (2) of the timing chain tensioner adjuster are undamaged and that the tensioner functions correctly.
  2. Replace any worn or damaged component.
Installation Procedure

1. Verify that the keyway (2) on the crankshaft is positioned properly.

1. Install the crankshaft sprocket (2) to the crankshaft (1).

1. Verify that the Knock-pin (1) on the right intake camshaft is aligned with the match mark (2).
  2. Install the right primary sprocket to the intake camshaft with the RH mark facing forward. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Secure the sprocket (1) with the bolt while holding the intake camshaft (2) with a wrench. Tighten the bolt to 80 Nm (57.5 ft. lbs.).

1. Install the timing chain tensioner (2). Secure with the nut. Tighten the nut to 27 Nm (19.5 ft. lbs.).

1. Install the primary timing chain to the primary right intake sprocket by aligning the right silver link (1) on the chain with the mark (2) on the sprocket.

1. Apply oil to the inside of the idler sprocket and install the sprocket by aligning the left silver link (1) with the mark (2) on the idler sprocket.

1. Install the primary timing chain to the crankshaft sprocket by aligning the yellow link (2) on the chain with the mark (3) on the sprocket.
  2. Apply oil to the bearing of the idler sprocket.

1. Install the primary timing chain to the idler sprocket (1) and secure the sprocket to the engine block with the bolt. Tighten the bolt to 45 Nm (32.5 ft. lbs.).

1. With the latch (2) of the tensioner adjuster returned and the plunger (3) pushed back into the body, insert a retainer (paper clip or similar tool) (1) into the set hole. After inserting the pin, make sure the plunger will not come out.

1. Install the tensioner adjuster (1) to the engine block and tensioner. Secure with the 2 bolts. Tighten the bolt to 11 Nm (7.5 ft. lbs.).
  2. Remove the retainer (3) from the tensioner.

1. Install the timing chain guides (1,3). Tighten the bolts to 9 Nm (6.5 ft. lbs.).

1. Verify that each timing mark is aligned properly.
  2. install the left secondary timing chain and tensioner.
  3. Install the engine front cover.
  4. Install the spark plugs.
  5. Connect the negative battery cable.

Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Removal Procedure

2. Remove the engine front cover.

1. Rotate the crankshaft so that the following conditions are met:
    • The keyway on the crankshaft (3) is properly positioned.
    • The arrow (2) on the idler sprocket is pointing to the crankshaft.
    • The marks on the sprockets (1) match up with the marks on the cylinder head.
  1. Remove the 3 bolts and the upper chain guide.

1. Remove the 1 nut and 2 bolts from the timing chain tensioner (1).
  2. Remove the timing chain tensioner (1). It may be necessary to slacken the timing chain by turning the intake camshaft (2) counterclockwise a little while pushing back on the tensioner pad.

1. Hold the camshafts (2) with a wrench and remove the camshaft sprocket bolts.
  2. Remove the camshaft sprockets (1,3) and timing chain.

1. Remove the 2 bolts (1) and the side chain guide (2).
  2. Inspect the following components for wear and damage:

1. Verify that the latch (1) and teeth (2) of the timing chain tensioner are undamaged and that the tensioner functions correctly.
Installation Procedure

1. Verify that the keyway on the crankshaft (2) is properly positioned.

1. Verify that the timing mark (2) on the idler sprocket (1) is properly positioned. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Install the side chain guide (2). Secure with the 2 bolts (1). Tighten the bolts to 11 Nm (7.5 ft. lbs.).

1. Verify that the knock-pin (1) of the intake camshaft and knock-pin (3) of the exhaust camshaft are aligned with the match marks on the cylinder head.

1. Install the timing chain to the idler sprocket by aligning the yellow link (1) of the timing chain with the mark (2) on the idler sprocket.

1. Install the sprockets to the camshafts by aligning the silver links (1) with the mark on the intake sprocket (3) and the exhaust sprocket (2).
  2. Secure the sprocket with the bolts (4) while holding the camshafts with a wrench. Tighten the 2 bolts to 80 Nm (57.5 ft. lbs.).

1. With the latch (2) of the tensioner adjuster returned and the plunger (1) pushed back into the body, insert a retainer (4) (paper clip or similar tool) into the set hole (3). After inserting the pin, make sure the plunger will not come out.

1. Install the timing chain tensioner (3). Secure with the bolt (1). Tighten the bolt to 12 Nm (8.5 ft. lbs.).
  2. Install tensioner nut. Tighten the nut to 45 Nm (32.5 ft. lbs.).
  3. Install tensioner nut. Tighten the nut to 45 Nm (32.5 ft. lbs.).
  4. Remove the retainer (2) from the tensioner.
  5. Install the upper chain guide. Secure with the 3 bolts. Tighten the bolts to 11 Nm (7.5 ft. lbs.).

1. Turn the crankshaft 2 revolutions clockwise.
  2. Align the keyway (8) on the crankshaft with the oil jet (7).
  3. Verify that all the other timing marks are properly aligned.
  4. Apply engine oil to the following:
    • The timing chains
    • The tensioner
    • The guides
    • The sprockets
  1. Install the spark plugs.
  2. Install the engine front cover.
  3. Connect the negative battery cable.

Left secondary chain

Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
LAST OF THE INFO. I SUGGEST PRINTINGA S PICS WILL TIME OUT AT SOME POINT AND NO LONGER CAN YOU VIEW.

emoval Procedure
  1. Remove the engine front cover.
  2. Remove the left secondary timing chain.
  3. Remove the primary timing chain.

1. Remove the 2 bolts and the timing chain guide (1).

1. Remove the camshaft bearing cap bolts in the proper sequence.
  2. Remove the camshaft bearing caps.
  3. Remove the camshafts and secondary timing chain as a set.

1. Remove the 2 bolts and the timing chain tensioner (1).
Installation Procedure

1. Apply oil to the secondary right timing chain tensioner (1). Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  2. Install the timing chain tensioner (1) and secure with the 2 bolts. Tighten the bolts to 11 Nm (7.5 ft. lbs.).
  3. Apply oil to the camshaft lobes an journals.

1. Install the right timing chain to the camshaft sprockets by aligning the silver or yellow links (1) with the marks (2,3) on the camshaft sprockets.

1. Install the camshaft bearing cap pins (2)
  2. Install the camshafts with the timing chain to the cylinder head.
  3. Apply oil to the camshaft bearing cap bolts. Important: Cylinder head and camshaft damage may result if the bearing caps are incorrectly installed.

1. Install the camshaft bearing caps. The caps are marked intake or exhaust (1), position away from the timing chain (2), and direction toward the timing chain (3).

1. Tighten the camshaft bearing caps. Tighten the camshaft bearing caps in 3 progressive steps in the sequence shown to 12 Nm (8.5 ft. lbs.).

1. Install the right secondary timing chain guide (1). Secure with the 2 bolts. Tighten the bolts to 11 Nm (7.5 ft. lbs.).
  2. Install the primary timing chain.
  3. Install the left secondary timing chain.
  4. Install the engine front cover.

Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks a lot! That will work. How do I give positive feedback?