Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech. 20+ years experience. 9 years self employed. Expert on AUTOLAB Radio Show
10772012

2001 Chevy Monte Carlo: park..ignition key..the ignition switch..worn

As of tonight I have a 2001 Chevy Monte Carlo sitting in my garage and I cannot even get it out of park b/c the ignition key is locked in the off position even when using the correct key. I experience the same outcome with the second key which came with the car and has barely ever been used. Is the passlock system preventing the ignition switch from turning even when using the correct key that is not worn?
Has the ignition lock assy just mechanically failed?
Can I replace the ignition lock assy without affecting the passlock system?
Pertaining to the ignition switch/lock assy can you explain how the passlock system works?

Thanks,
Mark

Hello Mark, I suspect the tumblers are stuck in your ignition lock cylinder. Try this procedure. I have had success in the past. Spray a little WD40 into the lock cylinder. Just a little. Insert your key, tap on the key lightly with a hammer while putting a little pressure on it to turn, see if it frees up and turns.

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Ivan,

I had to work with it for a few but it did finally free up and turn. Engine starts no fault lights illuminated on dash... all is well. What do you recommend if this happens again?

Thanks,

Mark

Great! With that little WD40, you should be good now. If you want to be proactive, replace the lock cylinder and it won't repeat the issue again.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is the passlock system involved when replacing the lock cylinder?
There is a relearn procedure that you will have to do after replacing it. Would you like the procedure now or do you want to let me know when you are ready to replace it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I would like the relearn procedure now.

Actually no procedure needed. Here is the notes related to replacing the lock cylinder

The ignition lock cylinder and keys do not contain any coded electronic components. The lock cylinder housing contains the coded electronic components. Changing an ignition lock cylinder or replacing a key is a purely mechanical process which does not affect the vehicle theft deterrent system. To replace an existing key, simply cut a new key to match the existing one. If no keys are available, the lock cylinder must be changed. To change the lock cylinder, simply replace the existing lock cylinder with one of the same type.