Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

where can i find the thermostat on a 98 chevy tracker

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

hi

what engine do you have?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
1.6L 4cyl i found the thermostat but still have the idle problem

ok

i think the idle is a separate issue..this may be the iac[idle air control]this is located on the side of the throttle body..sometimes you can remove this and clean it with carb cleaner and it will work fine..though you may need a new one

thanks

Thermostat

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

See Figures 1 through 6

CAUTION When draining engine coolant, keep in mind that cats and dogs are attracted to ethylene glycol antifreeze and could drink any that is left in an uncovered container or in puddles on the ground. This will prove fatal in sufficient quantities. Always drain coolant into a sealable container. Coolant should be reused unless it is contaminated or is several years old.

1. Drain the engine cooling system until the level of coolant is below the level of the thermostat.
  2. If working space is constricted, the upper radiator hose may be detached from the thermostat housing.
  3. Remove the thermostat housing mounting bolts, then lift the housing off of the intake manifold.
  4. Remove and discard the old gasket.
  5. Grasp the thermostat by hand and lift it out of the intake manifold.
  6. Clean the thermostat housing-to-intake manifold gasket mating surfaces of all dirt, grime and old gasket material.

FIG : Fig. 1: To remove the thermostat, loosen the thermostat housing mounting bolts ...

image

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 2: ... then lift the housing off of the intake manifold, thereby exposing the thermostat (arrow)

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 3: Remove the old gasket from the housing or the intake manifold (depending onto which surface it is stuck)

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 4: Grasp the thermostat by hand and pull it up and out of the intake manifold

To install:

1. On 1.3L and 1.6L engines, position the new thermostat in the intake manifold hole so that the spring side of the thermostat is positioned down, and the air bleed valve is positioned toward the front of the engine.
  2. On 1.8L engines, position the new thermostat in the intake manifold hole so that the spring side of the thermostat is positioned down, and the air bleed valve is aligned with the matchmark on the intake manifold.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 5: When installing the thermostat on 1.3L and 1.6L engines, ensure that the air bleed valve (1) is facing toward the front of the engine

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 6: On 1.8L engines, when installing the thermostat, be sure that the air bleed valve (2) and the matchmark (3) are aligned

1. Position a new gasket on the thermostat, then position the thermostat housing over the thermostat and on the intake manifold.
  2. Install and tighten the thermostat housing mounting bolts evenly and securely.
  3. If necessary, reattach the upper radiator hose to the housing.
  4. Fill the cooling system.
  5. Start the engine and inspect for coolant leaks.

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Like i said i found ther thermostat and have already replaced it the main concern from my origonal question in the more info section was the idle.....when i start the vehicle it starts at 2500 rpm then goes to 3000 after it warms up a bit it rapidly fluctuates between 1500 and 2000 rpm...what do i need to do and what should i be lookin at to replace
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok thanks for your help.....maybe some pics of it IAC to help on that end would be appriciated

ok

first,,check all vacuum hoses for leaks..but the problem may be the iac[idle air control]valve..this is located on the side of the throttle body,,sometimes you can remove these and clean it with carb cleaner and it will work fine,,though you may need a new one

thanks...sorry i don't have a picture of this,,but it is located on the side of the throttle bode,,kinda looks like a little electric motor

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did accept and thank you vary much for your help
you are very welcome.thanks for using justanswer