cartech
cartech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years ase mastertech. shop owner and tech
1511099

2008 Impala: my shift is stuck in Park..ride

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Impala and my shift is stuck in Park. Where is the manual over ride button? Or do you have other suggestions. I've tried everything mentioned in the owners manual.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.
let me see what i can do to assist you with this give me just a minute my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will be with you i just a few minutes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks! From what I gathered researching this on the Internet, this appears to be a problem with Impalas
Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.

they have had problems with this here is what needs done to fix it i will look to see how to remove it from park manually also

#08-07-30-007B: EI08045 - Key Cannot Be Removed from Ignition with Gear Selector in Park, Shifter Cannot Be Moved from Park Position (Repair/Reroute Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) Solenoid Harness) - (Jun 8, 2009)

Subject:EI08045 - Key Cannot Be Removed from Ignition with Gear Selector in Park, Shifter Cannot Be Moved from Park Position (Repair/Reroute Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) Solenoid Harness)

Models:2007-2009 Chevrolet Impala

This bulletin is being revised to end the need for information from the field and provide repair information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-07-30-007A (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

Condition

Some customers may comment on either of the following conditions:

The key cannot be removed from the ignition.

The transmission gear selector (shifter) cannot be moved out of the PARK position.

Cause

This condition may be caused by an incorrectly routed brake transmission shift interlock (BTSI) solenoid harness which can make it difficult to install. In some instances, the wiring looms are tangled, causing stress on the wires in the connector at the BTSI. If the BTSI harness is routed incorrectly, it may also result in a wire pinching issue.

Correction

Important: DO NOT use force to move the gear selector (shifter). Using force may cause damage to the BTSI.

Inspection/Routing and Repair of the BTSI Wiring Harness/Connector

1. Check for wire damage at the BTSI connector terminal ends. Refer to SI for repair procedures.
  2. For very intermittent issues, check the BTSI wire harness individual circuits for broken or crimped wires. Refer to SI for repair procedures.

BTSI Wiring Harness Incorrectly Routed

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

3. Inspect the routing of the wiring harness leading to the BTSI connector. The illustrations above show the BTSI harness routed incorrectly.

BTSI Wiring Harness Routed Correctly

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

4. Reroute the wiring to create available slack and avoid future occurrences.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

N9616*

Wiring and/or Connector Repair - Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI)

0.5 hr

*This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

cartech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 25 years ase mastertech. shop owner and tech
Expert:  cartech replied 4 years ago.

i don't find that it has a emergency release some if you turn the key only part way on will release it but if that don work the only thing i see is to remove the lock solenoid if it releases with the key part on you can start in neutral to drive it here is a pic of how the lock is

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH