Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

2007 chevy: cylinder #3 misfire error..spark plug..#3 ignition coil

I have a 2007 chevy silverado that continues to get a cylinder #3 misfire error. I have replaced #3 spark plug and plug wire. Also just replaced the #3 ignition coil and thought that fixed it but it has happened again. when this happens the truck is normally idling and when i take off it shifts hard from 1st to 2nd and then the engine light comes on. please help

It sounds like you have a bad injector or wiring problem. Use a voltmeter or LED testlight next time problem happens to verify wiring to coil and injector is working the same on #3 as the other cylinders if not repair/replace whatever wire is different if its the same replace the injector. You could also swap the injector with another cylinder to see if misfire moves if so it will verify the problem. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
would the bad wiring cause the shifting hard from 1st to 2nd? or do you think that will be something different?
It would be the same problem because if the engine doesnt have the power it needs it throws the shifting patterns off so once the misfire is fixed it will shift right. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.