Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

Adjust..parking brake..3500 truck (single rear wheel- disc brakes

Customer Question

How to adjust the parking brake on a 2005-3500 truck (single rear wheel- disc brakes)
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Hello, this truck uses an automatic adjuster right at the peadl mechanism. There is a a procedure to release it , make the brake shooe adjustments then enable it. I put the info below. Since it is automatic. chances are you will need to disable the auto adjuster, remove rear rotors and adjust the e brake shoes tighter. the go throught the enable procedure once the e brake shoes are adjusted tighter. Can be a little tricky. the 1500 series you can adjust the cable, not in a 3500/ Below is the disable /enable for the syatem so you can go to back e brake shoes and adjust them

isabling the Park Brake Cable Automatic Adjuster (w/Rear Disc)
Before any components of the parking brake system are serviced, the following procedure must be followed. Two technicians are required to perform this procedure, one inside the vehicle and one outside the vehicle.

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
  2. Hold the pedal in the FULL upward position.
  3. Pull rearward on the front park brake cable until the pedal drum (2) reaches its full reset position.
  4. Insert a scribe or the shaft of a thin screwdriver (1) on an upward angle through the hole in the front of the pedal assembly, past the retracted pedal drum, and into the hole in the back of the pedal assembly (3).
  5. Slowly release the cable.
  6. Remove the component that requires service.

nabling the Park Brake Cable Automatic Adjuster (w/Rear Disc)
If the park brake automatic adjuster has been disabled, the following two person procedure must be performed.
  1. Hold the park brake pedal in the FULL upward position.

1. Pull rearward on the front park brake cable until the tension is released from the scribe or nail (1) installed through the holes in the pedal assembly.
  2. Remove the scribe or screwdriver (1).
  3. Slowly release the park brake cable until it returns to its original position.
  4. Release the park brake pedal.
  5. Lower the vehicle.
  6. Apply and release the park brake pedal to ensure that there is no binding or sticking.

Park Brake Adjustment (w/Rear Disc)

Park Brake Shoe Adjustment

Tools Required

Caution: Refer to Brake Dust Caution in Service Precautions.

Important: The park brake shoes must be adjusted before the park brake pedal is adjusted.

1. Set the J21177-A so that it contacts the inside diameter of the rotor.

1. Position the J21177-A over the shoe and the lining at the widest point.
  2. Turn the adjuster nut until the lining just contacts the J21177-A.
  3. Repeat steps 1-3 for the opposite side.
  4. The clearance between the park brake shoe and the rotor is 0.6604 mm (0.026 inch) .
Park Brake Pedal Adjustment

Important: Before you adjust the park brake, verify that the park brake shoes are adjusted to provide a clearance of 0.6604 mm (0.026 inch) .

1. Verify that the self adjuster lock-out pin has be removed.
  2. Fully apply and release the park brake pedal 3 times, with the rotor in place.

Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks a bunch for the info. I figured it wasn't as simple as a drum style brake system when I didn't see an adjustment on the cable itself. Years of operating and working on heavy equipment, and I can't even adjust a parking brake!!!

Once again thanks for the help. It pays to talk to a pro.

First time user , I will definately be back.

Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Appreciate the question and glad to help. LMk if i can ever help agian. Just do request for "tracer" thanks. Do not hit the acept button again to avoid double charge. The post will close on its own