John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician

My 07 chev 3500 dually want start it..change fuel..fuel filter

Customer Question

my 07 chev 3500 dually want start it would come up enigine power lose and change fuel filter do u no wut could be the problem?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

Hello camero691090,

What model vehicle & engine size is your Chevrolet ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
its a 07 chev 3500XXXXXwith the 6.6 duramax diesel
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

The first step in diagnosing this problem is to scan the engine computer for failure codes.In changing the fuel filter you must bleed the fuel system to remove all the air afterward.

Fuel System Priming

Note: In order for the diesel fuel system to work properly, the fuel lines must be full of fuel and contain no air. If air gets into the fuel lines, it will be necessary to prime the fuel system to eliminate the air before operating the vehicle. Air could have entered the system in one of the following ways:

The vehicle ran out of fuel.
The filter was removed for service or replacement.
The fuel lines were removed or disconnected for servicing.
The fuel filter water drain cock was opened while the engine was running.
If one or more of the above occurred, air has entered the fuel system and you will need to prime the system prior to operating the vehicle.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Prior to priming the fuel system, ensure that the following has been completed:
    There is fuel in the fuel tank.
    The fuel filter has been installed and properly tightened.
    The fuel lines are properly connected.
    The fuel filter is cool to the touch.
    Any dirt or debris has been removed from the fuel filter adapter and vent valve screw.
  2. Remove the air cleaner outlet duct. Open the vent valve screw (1) by turning the screw counterclockwise several full turns.
    Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

3. Operate the priming pump (1) by repeatedly pumping until a small amount of fuel seeps from the vent valve. Allow the pump to fully return upward between pumps. When fuel is present, the filter is full of fuel and the system is primed.
  4. Close the vent valve screw.
  5. Clean any fuel which accumulated on the fuel filter adapter.
  6. Install the air cleaner outlet duct. Start the engine and allow the engine to idle for a few minutes.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no i replaced the fuel filter 2 weeks ago and its been running fine and i did prime it afterwards< so its got to be a different problem, i even primed it again this morning to make sure thats not what happened
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.
Ok,have you scanned the system for failures ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no not yet i was hopeing someone has ran accross this before
Expert:  John replied 4 years ago.

There are many reasons why a computer controlled diesel engine will not run.

Here is one of them.

08-06-04-029C: LBZ, LLY, LMM MIL/SES Light On, DTC P0087-Fuel Rail Pressure (FRP) Too Low, Lack of Performance, No Power, Engine Runs Rough, No Start (Diagnose Fuel System Components) - (Jul 20, 2009)

Subject:LBZ, LLY, LMM MIL/SES Light On, DTC P0087- Fuel Rail Pressure (FRP) Too Low, Lack of Performance, No Power, Engine Runs Rough, No Start (Diagnose Fuel System Components)

Models:2006-2007 Chevrolet Express, Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series, Silverado, Silverado Classic
2006-2007 GMC Savana, Sierra, Sierra Classic, TopKick C4500/C5500 Series
Equipped with 6.6L Duramax TM Diesel Engine RPOs LBZ, LLY, LMM
Refer to GMVIS

Attention: Please check the vehicle repair order history to determine if a replacement fuel injection pump has already been installed for the above symptoms. If the fuel injection pump has been already replaced, then do not install another new fuel injection pump. The purpose of this bulletin is to aid technicians in the diagnosis and repair of fuel systems components on the DuramaxTM Diesel Engine.

This bulletin is being revised to advise technicians that all parts are to be returned to the WPC. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-06-04-029B (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment on an illumination of the MIL/SES with one or more of the following symptoms:

Lack of Performance
No Power
Engine runs rough
Lack of power
Vehicle may not start

Upon further investigation, the technician may find DTC P0087- Fuel Rail Pressure (FRP) Too Low stored in the ECM.

Cause

A ceramic high pressure valve ball fracture inside the fuel injection pump may lead to internal pump damage resulting in low fuel rail pressure. This condition may contaminate the common fuel rails and fuel injectors with debris. The fuel injection pump may operate, but with reduced output flow.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

A high pressure valve fracture may cause the fuel injection pump cup plug (1) to come out, resulting in a no start condition and a possible fluid leak.

Bulletin Diagnostic Tips

There are several bulletin resources available in the Electronic Service Information System (SI) that can provide the technician with information on diagnosis and repair of the fuel system. Some of the bulletins available in SI include:

Information on Diesel Fuel Additives (Bulletin #03-06-04-017)
Information on Injector Bore Cleaning Kit (Bulletin #05-06-04-067)
Information on Servicing Fuel Injectors to Avoid Contamination (Bulletin #03-06-04-036)

Correction

Caution: Remove the fuel tank cap and relieve the fuel system pressure before servicing the fuel system in order to reduce the risk of personal injury. After you relieve the fuel system pressure, a small amount of fuel may be released when servicing the fuel lines, the fuel injection pump, or the connections. In order to reduce the risk of personal injury, cover the fuel system components with a shop towel before disconnection. This will catch any fuel that may leak out. Place the towel in an approved container when the disconnection is complete.

Important: Make sure you clock in and record the actual repair order clock time when completing this repair. A copy of the repair order and a print out of the Engine Data 1 snapshot along with the fuel rail pressure graph may be required. Failure to provide copies of this information may cause your warranty claim to be rejected.

Start by diagnosing the fuel system components by referring to Fuel System Diagnosis in SI.

If the vehicle starts and runs, verify that there are no fuel pump inlet restrictions on the supply side by inspecting for kinked fuel lines or a clogged fuel filter. If the vehicle does not exhibit any fuel supply restrictions or the engine does not start, proceed with the following diagnosis:

If the past repair order history shows the fuel injection pump was replaced, inspect the left fuel rail for debris and/or fuel contamination. It will be necessary to remove the fuel pressure relief valve to visually inspect inside the fuel rail. Refer to Fuel Pressure Relief Valve Replacement in SI.
- If particle debris is found in the left fuel rail, perform Steps 12-19.
- If no debris is found in the left fuel rail, install the fuel pressure relief valve and tighten. Perform the fuel injector return flow test by referring to Fuel Return System Diagnosis in SI.

Tighten
Tighten the fuel pressure relief valve to 100 N·m (74 lb ft).

If the vehicle will not start and/or there is evidence of a leak coming from the fuel injection pump, inspect for a missing or damaged cup plug on the fuel injection pump. If a damaged cup plug is found, perform Steps 11-19.
If the fuel injection pump has not been previously replaced and there is no evidence that the cup plug is damaged, test the fuel injection pump for excessive fuel pressure fluctuations by following Steps 1- 10 below.

1. Start and idle the engine to normal operating temperatures.
  2. Using a Tech®2 scan tool, build the vehicle information.
  3. Select F2: Special Functions.
  4. Select F2: Fuel Systems.
  5. Select F3: Fuel Pressure Control.
  6. Using the Tech®2 scan tool, increase the fuel rail pressure to 100 MPa (14,503 psi) for desired fuel rail pressure.

Tip
    You will have to manually exit the snapshot after 1 minute of recording.

7. Select quick snapshot (located on the bottom screen of the Tech®2 scan tool) and record the data list seen below for one minute.

Engine RPO- LBZ & LLY: Engine Data 1

Engine RPO- LMM: Fuel System Data