Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

I have 1994 Chevrolet K1500 and the Four Wheel drive will not

I have 1994 Chevrolet K1500 and the Four Wheel drive will not engage. Replaced the actuator and still nothing. 4WD High there is nothing working and when I put it in 4W Low it starts grinding and not engaging , So I STOP trying to engage. Could it be my transfer case or what. Thanks.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.

hi

do you have the mechanical shifter in the floor for the 4wd?what actuator did you replace?

thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Shifter is in the floor and I replaced the actuator that screws in the front axle.
where does the grinding come from..the front or the transfer case
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not sure.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not sure. Took it to a friends lift and raised the truck. The first time I put it 4w low, the front shaft turned, but not the wheels. When I tried it the next time was when it was grinding like it was not engaging and I took out 4w low to stop the noise.

ok

did you replace the actuator with the recommended electric motor type or did you use the stack thermal one?

thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was a screw in type. It was a 5 pin connector , Napa part FWD32 . It was a large black plastic switch. Not a electric motor.

if you didn't run a new wiring harness..you may have replaced it with the stock type thermal actuator...you need to replace it with the electric motor type

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Slow/No Engagement of Front Axle when 4WD Selected

File In Section: 4 Drive Axle

Bulletin No.: 76-43-01A

Date: September, 1998

Subject:
Slow or no Engagement of Front Axle when 4WD is selected (Replace Front Axle Actuator)

Models:
1988-97 Chevrolet and GMC K Models
excluding 1988-93 Models over 8500 # XXXXX

This bulletin is being revised to add information to the Service Procedure, add a new part number, and include schematics. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 76-43-01 (SectionXXXXXAxle).

Condition

Some owners may comment that the colder the outside temperature is, the longer it takes for the front axle to engage whenXXXXXis selected, or the front axle does not engage.

Cause

The front axle engagement actuator is a thermally activated component. Because of this characteristic, the time required for the actuator to completeXXXXXengagement is extended as the temperature drops.

Correction

Replace the front axle actuator and include the applicable wiring harness kit. Refer to the Parts Information in order to determine which wiring harness kit is needed.

1996 model trucks with a build date on or after January 2, 1996 are considered as "961". If the build date of the truck is unknown, verify the 3 character "axle code" on the front axle label in order to determine which wire harness to order.

This new actuator uses a motor to engage the front axle and is not affected by temperature. On 1988-93 models with a GVW rating over 8500$, the new actuator cannot be installed and the thermal actuator will remain the service part.

Parts Information

P/NDescriptionQty
26060073Actuator Asm, Frt Drive Axle1
22510339Fastener1
15313272Harness, Jumper (Z Splice)
(86-93 K1-3)
1

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information

Some owners with actuators that are operating as designed (5-30 seconds engagement time) may choose to upgrade to the fast actuator at their own expense. The fast actuator is a new product enhancement and should not be used to replace actuators that are operating as designed.

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Service Procedure
  1. Remove the front differential carrier shield, if equipped.
  2. If necessary, clean the axle housing in the area around the existing actuator. Disconnect the actuator's electrical connection at the front axle housing.
  3. Remove the front axle actuator by unthreading the actuator from the axle housing.
  4. Install the spacer from the wiring kit into the axle tube with the flat side seated against the shift fork.
  5. Install the actuator motor and tighten until the shoulder of the actuator seats against the axle tube.
Important :

If binding occurs before the actuator is seated, remove the actuator and reseat the spacer by pushing on the spacer with a screwdriver. Then reinstall the actuator.

On K3 Models with the cast iron axle tube, there may be a casting burr which may contact the edge of the actuator. This should not create a concern and the actuator should seat against the axle tube. If this contact remains a concern, use a die grinder in order to remove the burr.

1. Connect the service harness connector to the actuator and connect the 2-pin connector to the mating connector at the axle. For 1994 to current models, in the case of a complete axle replacement, refer to Figure 1.
  2. Route the wiring harness along the existing harness on the right side of the vehicle. Route CKT 241 (BRN) over the top and to the left of the transmission. Secure the harness using plastic ties.
  3. For 1995-97 interim vehicles, locate the 4-wire connector (C120) on the left side of the transmission. Splice the BRN wire of the actuator harness into cavity D of CKT 241 (BRN) on the engine side of connector C120. Follow the splicing procedure described in Section 8A (Electrical Diagnosis Repair Procedures) of the applicable Service Manual.
Important :

The new Fast Axle Actuator requires only 1 splice.

• For 1993 and prior vehicles, splice into CKT 50 (BRN) between connector C152 and GT101 (Figures 2, 3, 4).

• For 1994 vehicles, splice into CKT 50 (BRN) between connector C152 and P101 (Figures 5, 6).

• For 1995-97 vehicles, splice into CKT 241 (BRN) between connectors C120 and C100 (Figure 7).
Notice :

Connections must be water tight in order to prevent water from entering the circuit and causing damage to the components.

1. On K3 models, install the delay relay, included as part of the wiring harness kit, at the engine side of the bulkhead, adjacent to the existing relay. Mount the new relay with self-drilling fastener, P/N 22510339. Route and secure the relay wire harness behind the right oxygen sensor heat shield.
  2. Verify system operation. When shifting the transfer case, you should hear the actuator motor operate.
Important :

This relay incorporates a 5 second delay for the front axle to engage in order to allow the transfer case synchronizer to energize.

For 88-93 vehicles, if the axle has to be replaced, use jumper harness P/N 15313272. CKT 1695 (BLK/WHT) fits into cavity A of the fast actuator. The circuit includes the cable seal and the terminal pin. This circuit plugs into the 5-pin axle actuator connector.

1. Do the following steps in order to install jumper harness P/N 15313272:
    1. Locate the axle actuator 5-pin connector on the service actuator wiring harness and remove the TPA.
    2. Remove and discard the cavity plug from cavity A.
    3. Install CKT 1695 lead (BLK/WHT) from the jumper harness that has the cable seal and terminal into axle actuator connector cavity A.
    4. Reinstall the TPA on the 5-pin connector.
    5. Install the service actuator harness 5-pin connector into the axle actuator.
    6. Connect jumper harness 2x2 connector into the existing vehicle 4WD mating connector.
    7. Strap the jumper harness and the service harness to the tab on the axle tube.
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.