Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

2004 Suburban: rear access controls for the hvac..aux fuses

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Suburban LT, the rear access controls for the HVAC and the audio will not work.It will not even power on , I checked all the fuses that I thought it might be, could the be a fuse that I am missing ? I checked the AUX fuses and the info fuse. Thanks !
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.

The problem is in the rear audio/ hvac control unit. There is a technical bulletin regarding this matter that I have included for you below. You can disconnect the unit and reconnect it to restore operation temporarily. The permanant fix is to replace the rear controls.

Bulletin No.: 03-08-44-018C

Date: January 09, 2006

TECHNICAL

Subject:
Rear Seat Audio (RSA) and/or Rear HVAC Inoperative (Replace RSA Module)

Models:
2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado Crew Cab, Suburban, Tahoe
2003-2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab, Sierra Denali, Yukon, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali, Yukon Denali XL
2003-2006 HUMMER H2

with Rear Seat Radio Control (RPO UK6)

Supercede:

This bulletin is being revised to add 2006 model year vehicles. Please discard Advanced SI Resolution Bulletin Number 03-08-44-018B (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).

Condition

Some customers may comment that the Rear Seat Audio (RSA) or the rear HVAC controls are inoperative. The display will be blank and there is no communication to the RSA/HVAC module.

Cause

A microcontroller was found to lock up causing an "ALDL No ALDL" communication condition. This required the cycling of power by disconnecting/reconnecting the RSA module.

Correction

Replace the RSA module to correct this condition. The RSA module has been updated to eliminate the "HVAC No ALDL" communication concern

.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
How would I go about replacing that and how much money should I expect to spend out of pocket ? Where is the module located ?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. The module is the rear control itself. It is easy to replace,

graphic

Insert a flat bladed tool between the audio control and the console end panel in order to pry gently the audio control from the panel.

graphic

For pricing information, contact your dealer.