BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

my 2001 chevy tahoe will not start. it has gas in it, it started

my 2001 chevy tahoe will not start. it has gas in it, it started fine the day before. The engine turns over ok but will not fire? I'm going to put a little gas in carb. to see if that will get 'er going, any other thoughts?? it has 82k miles on er
Category: Chevy
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 4 years ago.
Hello letsitone, can you here a buzzing from the fuel pump when you turn the key on?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes I can here a whirring sound from back of vec. diff. from a fan going on
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 4 years ago.
Okay. This should mean that the fuel pump is okay. Try adding fuel into the engine to see if it starts. If it does then there is a problem with the fuel system. This can be a bad crank sensor or a problem with the security system. Does the security light come on or flash when cranking the engine?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The security light does not light up when cranking & I'll have to leave it that for now. I do not have any gas @ home, I'll get some but would have other errands to do while I'm out. When I return & try the gas in carb. method & it does not work can we continue w/ my problem ONL.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 4 years ago.
Let me know what happens and we can go from there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
okay, how does one (me) get gas into fuel injection sys. to try to crank it over?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 4 years ago.
You need to remove the air intake tube from the engine. This is the black tube that goes from the air filter to the engine. With it removed add fuel directly into the engines throttle body. Then try starting it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes the truck did start w/ gas in the carb. what can be the next checking pts.?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 4 years ago.
Okay, then it is lacking fuel. In order to properly check this you would need to install a fuel pressure gauge just to be sure that the pump is working properly. You can typically rent one of these at most autoparts stores.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So if the fuel press. gauge tells me that the fuel pump is bad, is the replacement fuel metering device(?) in the gas tank or located easily to be replaced?
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 4 years ago.
If the fuel pressure reading is below 55 psi then the pump is bad and you will need to remove the fuel tank to access it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
is there around about repair bill for this incident -meaning about How much would I expect to pay for labor & parts to take to the shop. I've done a few yrs. ago & that laying on your thing is for a younger guy & then you'll get my acc.
Expert:  BOBBYSS replied 4 years ago.
If you pay a shop to do this you will typically be charged about $600-700.
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience: ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH