Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

How to replace the insturment cluster in a 2004 Chev Impala

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
after you remove this trim bezel then its 4 screws and its out.save or print out this out the pictures time out

1. Apply the parking brake.
  2. Using a small flat-bladed tool, remove the bezel from the ignition switch cylinder.

1. If the vehicle is equipped with a column shift, position the transaxle shift control indicator to 1. Keep the key in the ignition switch cylinder.
  2. Adjust the steering wheel for access.
  3. Remove the steering column filler panel.

1. Remove the instrument panel (I/P) fuse block access hole covers.

1. Remove the screws from the I/P cluster trim plate.
  2. Starting at the right end of the I/P cluster, grasp the trim plate and pull rearward.
  3. Continue working around the I/P cluster trim plate until all of the retainers are released from the I/P trim pad.
  4. Disconnect the electrical connectors from the hazard switch and from the traction control switch, if equipped.
  5. Remove the I/P cluster trim plate.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Position the IP cluster trim plate to the I/P trim pad.
  2. Connect the electrical connectors to the hazard switch and to the traction control switch, if equipped.
  3. Press the IP cluster trim plate into the I/P trim pad until the retainers are fully seated. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  4. Install the I/P cluster trim plate screws. Tighten Tighten the screws to 2 N.m (18 lb in) .

1. Install the I/P fuse block access hole covers.

1. Align the bezel retainers to the tabs on the ignition switch cylinder.

1. Install the bezel to the ignition switch cylinder pressing into place until fully seated.

1. Install the steering column filler panel.
  2. Return the steering wheel to the original position.
  3. If the vehicle is equipped with a column shift, position the transaxle shift control indicator to Park and remove the key from the ignition switch cylinder.
  4. Release the parking brake.
    IMPORTANT: The ignition switch must be in the OFF position when removing the instrument cluster.

1. Remove the instrument panel (I/P) cluster trim plate.
    2. Remove the instrument cluster screws.
    3. Pull the instrument cluster towards you and disconnect the electrical connector.
    4. Remove the instrument cluster from the I/P.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Connect the electrical connector to the instrument cluster.
    2. Install the instrument cluster to the I/P. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
    3. Install the instrument cluster screws. Tighten Tighten the instrument cluster screws to 2 N.m (18 lb in) .
    4. Install the I/P cluster trim plate.
    5. If a new instrument cluster was installed, program the cluster. Refer to Service Programming System (SPS) in Vehicle Control Systems.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is there a special flat bladed tool that would make removing the bezel, without damaging it? Are there any tools or equipment needed to reset the panel after the replacement is made?
Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
a small screwdriver with tape over the tip and use that carefully.are you replacing the cluster?new one?used?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I was led to believe new ones were not avaliable. Only rebuilt or used. I don't like the sound of either of those choices. Was I misled or are there new ones avaliable?
Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
no you were not.but the one you install needs to be reprogramed to the VIN number for the car it is going into
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Would you recommend that a novice like myself do this repair or to take it to an authorized dealer for replacement?
Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
well you can change the cluster no problem.but what you run into is the car will not run after cluster replacement until the replacement cluster is reprogramed to tell it that it is in your car now with the VIN number.any shop with programing capability can do this.so if you change it you gonna have to tow it to them to have it programed.