Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

1994 Chevrolet: a 5.7L Throttle Body V8 and manual trans..RPM

I have a 1994 Chevrolet 3500 4X2 one ton dump with a 5.7L Throttle Body V8 and manual trans. Recently it has developed a problem of run-away idle. When I start it up the idle RPM's slowly increase until the motor is absolutely screaming. Drives OK but at a stop sign the motor will still race. Someone suggested I try replacing the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV) but this did not change anything. Thank you in advance for your help.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 6 years ago.

you need to check for vacuum leaks.check the gasket under the throttle body..check to make sure the throttle isn't hanging up on anything and the tb butterflies are closed at an idle..but the problem may be the egr valve..remove and clean it,make sure it shuts off. or the egr valve solenoid[this is what the vacuum line form the egr connects to]this may be opening the egr valve when it don't need to causing a vacuum from the exhaust

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..ism not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP