John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician
6408229

I have a 2001 Chevy Malibu 3.1 Liter Automatic. I am trying

I have a 2001 Chevy Malibu 3.1 Liter Automatic. I am trying to locate the computer that controls the engine coolent temperature. I think I have an intermittent electrical connection between the coolent sensor and the computer. The sensor has been replaced but the "check engine" light still turns on when the temperature gauge stops working. I read the codes with my scanner and it says "engine temperature below operating temperature". I clear the code in the computer and it works for a while but the same thing happens again. The engine's coolent fluid level is full when this happens.
Thanks
Mike- Austin, Tx
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

HelloCustomer

The computer that controls the engine cooling fans is located

Powertrain Control Module (PCM)

Below the left side of the IP, near the steering column

This particular code means that your engine is not reaching operating temperature .This condition is usually caused by a low coolant level or a thermostat.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Please define IP and I do not know it the cooling fans are working correctly
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

IP is instrument panel.

Here is an engine cooling fan system operation for your vehicle.

This condition is usually caused by a low coolant level or a thermostat.

The engine cooling fan system consists of two electrical cooling fans and three fan relays. The relays are arranged in a series/parallel configuration that allows the powertrain control module (PCM) to operate both fans together at low or high speeds. The cooling fans and fan relays receive battery positive voltage from the under hood junction block. The ground path is provided at G103.

During low speed operation, the PCM supplies the ground path for the low speed fan relay through the low speed cooling fan relay control circuit. This energizes the cooling fan 1 relay coil, closes the relay contacts, and supplies battery positive voltage from the cool fan 1 fuse through the cooling fan motor supply voltage circuit to the left cooling fan. The ground path for the left cooling fan is through the cooling fan s/p relay and the right cooling fan. The result is a series circuit with both fans running at low speed.

During high speed operation the PCM supplies the ground path for the cooling fan 1 relay through the low speed cooling fan relay control circuit. After a 3-second delay, the PCM supplies a ground path for the cooling fan 2 relay and the cooling fan s/p relay through the high speed cooling fan relay control circuit. This energizes the cooling fan s/p relay coil, closes the relay contacts, and provides a ground path for the left cooling fan. At the same time the cooling fan 2 relay coil is energized closing the relay contacts and provides battery positive voltage from the cool fan 2 fuse on the cooling fan motor supply voltage circuit to the right cooling fan. During high speed fan operation, both engine cooling fans have there own ground path. The result is a parallel circuit with both fans running at high speed.

The PCM commands Low Speed Fans on under the following conditions:

Engine coolant temperature exceeds approximately 106°C (223°F).
A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1310 kpa (190 psi).
After the vehicle is shut off if the engine coolant temperature at key-off is greater than 140°C (284°F) and system voltage is more than 12 volts. The fans will stay on for approximately 3 minutes.

The PCM commands High Speed Fans on under the following conditions:

Engine coolant temperature reaches 110°C (230°F).
A/C refrigerant pressure exceeds 1655 kpa (240 psi).
When certain DTCs set.