Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 hd: low oil pressure..alarm

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD that will not keep oil pressure. When putting a load on the engine the pressure tops out at about 25 - 30 lbs. The minute the vehicle stops moving the information center usually reads "low oil pressure" and the alarm "dings". I did an oil change in hopes that might solve the problem. I took it to the Chevy dealership and they replaced the instrument panel cluster as per a recall which did not change the condition. They then replaced the pressure sender which also did nothing. The dealership was leaning towards a lower motor problem. I did get the truck stuck in my yard a few weeks before the oil pressure took a dive and had to kind of rev the engine in order to get it out of the snow as the tires are geared more towards towing and not so much offroading. I am not sure what to do, please help!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 4 years ago.
what is the engine size?thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
6.0L

ok..sorry for the delay

first replace the oil filter again just to make sure it has not calapsed on the inside,,,use an ac brand..but the problem may be the o-ring on the oil pump pick-up strainer..to repair this the oil pan will need to be removed

thanks

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..ism not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Oil Pan Removal

Important: The original oil pan gasket is retained and aligned to the oil pan by rivets. When installing a new gasket, it is not necessary to install new oil pan gasket rivets.

DO NOT use the oil pan gasket again. When installing the oil pan, install a NEW oil pan gasket.

It is not necessary to remove the oil level sensor prior to oil pan removal. Remove the oil level sensor if service is required.

1. Remove the left closeout cover and bolt.

1. Remove the right closeout cover and bolt.

1. Remove the oil level sensor from the oil pan, if required.

1. Remove the oil pan bolts.
  2. Remove the oil pan.

Important: DO NOT allow foreign material to enter the oil passages of the oil pan, cap or cover the openings as required.

Use care not to gouge, score, or damage the oil pan sealing surface.

1. Drill (3) out the oil pan gasket retaining rivets (2), if required.
  2. Remove the gasket (1) from the pan.
  3. Discard the gasket and rivets.

1. Remove the oil pan baffle bolts and baffle, if required.

Installation

Note: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems

Important: The alignment of the structural oil pan is critical. The rear bolt hole locations of the oil pan provide mounting points for the transmission housing. To ensure the rigidity of the powertrain and correct transmission alignment, it is important that the rear of the block and the rear of the oil pan are flush or even. The rear of the oil pan must NEVER protrude beyond the engine block and transmission housing plane.

• Do not use the oil pan gasket again.
  • It is not necessary to rivet the NEW gasket to the oil pan.
  • It is not necessary to remove the oil level sensor prior to oil pan installation.
  1. Install the oil pan baffle and bolts, if previously removed. Tighten Tighten the oil pan baffle bolts to 12 Nm (106 lb in) .

1. Apply a 5 mm (0.2 in) bead of sealant GM P/N 12378521 (Canadian P/N 88901148), or equivalent, 20 mm (0.8 in) long to the engine block. Apply the sealant directly onto the tabs of the front cover gasket that protrude into the oil pan surface.

1. Apply a 5 mm (0.2 in) bead of sealant GM P/N 12378521 (Canadian P/N 88901148), or equivalent, 20 mm (0.8 in) long to the engine block. Apply the sealant directly onto the tabs of the rear cover gasket that protrude into the oil pan surface.

Important: Ensure to align the oil gallery passages in the oil pan and engine block properly with the oil pan gasket.
  1. Pre-assemble the oil pan gasket to the pan.
4.1.Install the gasket onto the oil pan.
4.2.Install the oil pan bolts to the pan and through the gasket.
  1. Install the oil pan, gasket and bolts to the engine block.
  2. Tighten bolts finger tight. Do not overtighten.
  3. Place a straight edge across the rear of the engine block and the rear of the oil pan at the transmission housing mounting surfaces.

1. Align the oil pan until the rear of engine block and rear of oil pan are flush or even. Tighten
  1. Tighten the oil pan-to-block and oil pan-to-front cover bolts to 25 Nm (18 lb ft) .
  2. Tighten the oil pan-to-rear cover bolts to 12 Nm (106 lb in) .
  1. Measure the oil pan-to-engine block alignment.
9.1.Place a straight edge across the rear of the engine block and rear of oil pan at the transmission housing mounting surfaces.
Important: The rear of the oil pan must NEVER protrude beyond the engine block and transmission housing mounting surfaces.
9.2.Insert a feeler gage between the straight edge and the oil pan transmission housing mounting surface and inspect to ensure that there is no greater than a 0.1 mm (0.004 in) gap (a) between the pan and straight edge.
9.3.If the oil pan alignment is not within specifications, remove the oil pan and repeat the above procedure.

1. Install the oil level sensor.

Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience: Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
do you think there is a possibility that it could be the oil pump or worse yet that the engine could be on its way out the door? Thanks for all your help!