Joel, Auto technician
Experience:  GM, ASE Certified Technician. Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Olds. Over 18 Years experience and growing.

pontiac torrent: steering whell angle sensor located..steering colum

on a pontiac torrent where is the steering whell angle sensor located on the steering colum
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Joel replied 6 years ago.

Hello and welcome.

There is no steering wheel angle sensor.

The PSCM calculates angle by inputs form the motor rotational sensor and the torque sensor.

After replacing these parts, you may just need to do a relearn of the system.

The PSCM needs to be programmed, as well as the steering position, torque sensor calibration, and steering centering position calibration in the EBCM.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
this is also what i have come up with but what throws me off is the fact that there is a a testing proceedure for the steering angle sensor itself, but like you said and i figured that the angle is calibrated by the pscm, yawl acceleration sensor, torque sensor, and rotaional sensor. i also had the pscm reprogrammed and clibrated after in stalling the new pscm, the stearing angle is reading 0 and uncentered on scanner so im thinking that it just needs to be recalibrated but i cant afford to have to replace another part and need to be sure, the one thing thats also throwing me is that there are no secondary digits on my scanner for the c0460 code im using a snapon modis, pleaseis there anything i can do to verify anything i am so boggled by this?
Expert:  Joel replied 6 years ago.

Sounds like it is all in the programming.

I looked a little deeper, and came up with a bulletin. This is what it states...

Make sure the Tech 2® is updated with version 27.010 or later.
Reprogram the electronic brake control module (EBCM) software with the latest version.
Reprogram the power steering control module (PSCM) software with the latest version.

After the software has been updated, perform the following checks using the Tech 2®:

1. Verify under the diagnostic menu that the STEERING WHEEL ANGLE reads zero when the wheels are pointed straight ahead.
  2. Verify under the diagnostic menu that the STEERING WHEEL ANGLE SENSOR CALIBRATION STATUS reads calibrated.
  3. Verify under the diagnostic menu that the STEERING WHEEL ANGLE VALIDITY reads valid.

If any of the above checks are incorrect, perform the following procedure using the Tech 2®:

1. Clear all the codes.
  2. Perform the "Steering Pos./Torque Sensor Cal" in the power steering control module. During the calibration procedure steering assist will not function. Raising the vehicle off the ground will reduce the steering loads and make it easier to perform the procedure.
  3. Perform the "Steering Pos. Sensor Calibration" in the electronic brake control module.
  4. Verify that there are no DTCs.
  5. Test drive the vehicle.