david, Heavy Duty Repair Mechanic
Experience:  Certified Master Technician,Certified in diesel & gasoline engines

2000 chevy suburban: rear main still leaks

Customer Question

I just had the rear main seal in my 2000 chevy suburban changed twice and it still leaks. I bout on seal from the auto part store and one from the dealer. They were identical and neither was close to the seal that came off the car. What can I do to repair this properly and to stop the oil from leaking please?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  david replied 6 years ago.
Hi thank you for your question hope this helps.

Many times parts change over time so the part you are getting from the dealer or the parts store may be the right seal just a different stile or maker.

Is this what the new part looks like?

If not i can give you a link to get it.

If it is what the new one looks like, were is the oil leaking from?

If the oil is leaking from around the crankshaft the crankshaft may have gotten a groove worn in it, This will require a sleeve (speedy sleeve that will come with the needed seal.

Hope this helps
Good luck
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The diagram of the parts needed that you supplied does not look like what came from the parts store or the dealer. The only part that came from the parts store and dealer was the "O" ring itself. The additional gasket was not there. Also, I have been told that the leak is coming from the same place. They do not believe the crankshaft is damaged, but I think maybe it would be necessary to have that sleeve on just in case...maybe it does have a groove and requires that sleeve? Where would I get this sleeve and what is it properly called. I really need to get this fixed as it is really bothering me. This is the first real repair on this truck and I would hate to see it put out of use after just one real repair.

Thank you for your assistance,