Michael Moore
Experience:  ASE Master/GM WORLD CLASS/GM Master/GM ASEP/Dodge Gold/Mazda cert.

I have a 2002 tahoe with a po446 code. What should i check?

i have a 2002 tahoe with a po446 code. What should i check?
The most common cause for the p0446 is a bad evap vent valve. This valve is located near the fuel tank and get clogged or just stop working. When this happens the computer is unable to check for evap leaks, and sometimes it makes it hard to fuel up the truck. The valve is not hard to replace and this is where you should start. This is a common issue on these trucks, 99.9% of the time its the valve that is the problem.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I know where this valve is. Is there a way to test or do you just install a new one?
Its kind of hard to test the valve with out a scan tool that can command the valve on and off. You can apply power to the valve to see if it clicks, this will tell you that the electrical part is working, but without allot of test equipment, its hard to test to see if the valve is sealing or stuck closed.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I guess it's a bit of a gamble. Any rough figure on price?
Should be less then $100. I would check your local auto parts store, should be cheaper then the dealership.