Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

2005 chevy equinox overheating when idleing after driving not

Customer Question

2005 chevy equinox overheating when idleing after driving not all the time but its getting worse also heat goes cold at times had thermostat replaced and heating core flushed
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.

Typically loss of heat from the heater and overheating problems are due to air in the cooling system. Make sure coolant levels are filled to the proper level. If the cooling system is low, check for leaks around the ends of the intake manifolds. Let me know what you find with the coolant levels.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
colant levels are good cant detect any leaks
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.
Do the radiator fans come on when the a/c is turned on?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ill double check but they have been working
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

fans r working

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.

I know you stated that the thermostat had been replaced, from the symptoms you have described I would say you have a bad thermostat or air trapped in the cooling system. There is an air bleed on the pipe above the water pump. It is a small brass fitting with a 7mm hex head. Loosen this bleeder screw and see if any air comes out of the system.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ill try that but i dont think my fans r coming on all the time r they supposed to be on when the ac is on
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i cant find the air bleed

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.

The air bleed is located at the blue arrow. On some of the older engines, there was also one at the thermostat housing, red arrow.

graphicgraphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i did bleed it there was some air in the line but very little ran it after and the heat in the car was warm then cold after running it the air shouldve been alot hotter coolant reservoir is full

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 7 years ago.

Run the engine at 2000 rpm for 2 minutes. Check to see if the heat comes back.