Kenny, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Providing 16 years of experience with certifications in engine performance, electrical and brakes

2006 Chevy Impala: ignition key..the steering wheel a little at a time

My wife's 2006 Chevy Impala ignition key will not turn to the full "off" position, therefore I cannot remove the key. I have tried turning the steering wheel a little at a time and still can't get the key out.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Kenny replied 6 years ago.
You should remove the shifter knob and then remove the panel under the knob to inspect the shifter solenoid that is located on the lower shifter assembly. There is a silver button you could press on the shifter to release the key. If the solenoid has any type of liquid that may have spilled on it then it will not allow the key to turn completely off. The shifter assembly will need to be replaced to fix this problem.