Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

My 94 silverado wont shift into 4x4

Customer Question

my 94 silverado wont shift into 4x4
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 6 years ago.

first.check all fuses

if this is a push button need to jack up all four corners of the truck..put it in 4wd,look at the front drive shaft,it should turn with the rear shaft...if it don't,you need the transfer case actuator....if the front shaft does turn and the front wheels don't pull,,you may need the front differential actuator

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..i'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the transfer case shields.

1. Remove the transfer case wiring harness connectors from the motor/encoder.

1. Remove three bolts securing the motor/encoder gasket and motor/encoder to the transfer case.
  2. Retain the rubber gasket for reuse.

Installation Procedure

1. Install three bolts securing the motor/encoder and the rubber gasket to the transfer case.
    • Tighten the motor/encoder bolts to 25 Nm (18 ft. lbs.) .
    • Ensure the motor/encoder aligns properly with the transfer case shift shaft.
    • Align the motor/encoder mating surface detent with the transfer case mating surface detent.

1. Install the transfer case wiring harness connectors to the motor/encoder.
  2. Install the transfer case shield.
icon_note_blank.gif Notes Four-Wheel Drive Axle Actuator