Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist

I have a 2001 chevy monte carlo ss,how do I replace a ignition

I have a 2001 chevy monte carlo ss,how do I replace a ignition starter switch and what tools do I need??
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Hello are you having problems with the ignition switch itself? OR the key/tumbler like maybe key will not turn etc? lmk thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The ignition starter switch itself
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I will send the info but the files are large. I may have to send over 2-3 posts. Coming next. here is the first one. the 'sub" repair info coming

IGNITION AND START SWITCH REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.
  2. Remove the steering column filler panel. See: Steering and Suspension\Steering\Steering Column\Service and Repair\Steering Column On-Vehicle Service\Steering Column Filler Replacement
  3. Remove the knee bolster bracket. See: Restraint Systems\Knee Diverter\Service and Repair
  4. Remove the instrument panel (I/P) cluster trim plate. See: Instrument Panel, Gauges and Warning Indicators\Instrument Cluster / Carrier\Service and Repair\Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) - Trim Plate Bezel Replacement
  5. Remove the ignition switch bolts.
  6. Lower the ignition switch away from the instrument carrier.
  7. Insert the key into the ignition lock cylinder. Turn the key to the "ON/RUN" position.
  8. Depress the transaxle park/lock cable retainer to release. Pull to remove the park/lock cable from the ignition switch. IMPORTANT: The Passlock electrical connector cannot be removed until the lock cylinder is removed.
  9. Depress and hold the detent on the bottom of the ignition switch in order to release the ignition lock cylinder. Remove the ignition lock cylinder with the key.

1. Disconnect the Passlock electrical connector.
  2. Disconnect the electrical connectors.

IMPORTANT: Ignition switch lock cylinder that won't rotate or is seized.

1. Follow the procedure below if the ignition switch lock cylinder is seized or won't rotate.
12.1. Protect the immediate work area with suitable material such as clean shop towels or a clean fender cover.
12.2. Locate the surface for the ignition switch lock cylinder release button (2) on the plastic ignition switch housing and center punch a location (1) on the "rib" approximately 3/8 inch reward, toward the key entry end, from the cylinder release button.
12.3. Carefully drill a pilot hole through the plastic housing with a 1/8 inch drill bit.
12.4. Carefully drill a larger hole at the pilot location, and slightly into the ignition switch lock cylinder surface to break the release button retaining spring using a 9/32 inch drill bit.
12.5. Remove portions of the broken spring from the hole using a small suitable tool.
12.6. Grasp the ignition switch lock cylinder and remove it from the switch housing.
12.7. Remove any plastic "flash" from the drilling operation, and using compressed air blow out the ignition switch assembly.
12.8. Follow service manual procedures when cylinder coding is required.
INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. If the lock cylinder would not rotate or was seized, perform the following procedure:
1.1. Install the new ignition switch lock cylinder as required by rotating both the cylinder and the ignition switch to the "ON" position.
1.2. Push the ignition switch lock cylinder into the ignition switch housing until fully seated.
1.3. It may be necessary to slightly depress the release button as it passes by the 9/32 inch hole previously drilled in the ignition switch housing.

1. Connect the electrical connectors.
  2. Connect the Passlock electrical connector.
  3. Connect the park/lock cable to the ignition switch.

1. Turn the key to the "ON/RUN" position. Install the ignition lock cylinder into the ignition switch. If you turned the key slightly while removing the lock cylinder, you may have to align the white colored ignition switch rotor (1) with the lock cylinder (2). You can rotate the ignition switch rotor (1) with your finger.
  2. Remove the key.

1. Position the ignition switch to the instrument carrier. NOTICE: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.
  2. Install the ignition switch bolts. TIGHTEN Bolts to 10 Nm (89 lb in).
  3. Install the trim plate bezel to the I/P cluster.
  4. Install the knee bolster bracket.
  5. Install the steering column filler panel.
  6. Connect the battery ground cable.

Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
TEERING COLUMN FILLER REPLACEMENT

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Remove the access cover from the left instrument panel (IP) fuse block.
  2. Release the left IP insulator tabs from the lower IP trim pad retainers for access.
  3. Remove the bolts from the steering column filler panel.
  4. Release the steering column filler panel retainers from the IP lower trim panel. Carefully lower the panel away from the IP lower trim panel.
  5. Disconnect the electrical connector from the rear compartment release switch.
  6. Remove the rear compartment release switch.
  7. Remove the steering column filler panel.
INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the rear compartment release switch.
  2. Connect the electrical connector to the rear compartment release switch.
  3. Align the steering column filler panel to the IP lower trim panel. Install the panel retainers to the IP lower trim panel. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  4. Install the bolts to the steering column filler panel. Tighten Tighten the bolts to 2 N.m (18 lb in) .
  5. Install the insulator tabs to the lower IP trim pad retainers.
  6. Install the access cover to the left IP fuse block.

Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Adjust the steering wheel for access.
  2. Using a small flat-bladed tool, remove the bezel from the ignition switch cylinder.

1. Remove the access cover from the left IP fuse block.
  2. Remove the steering column filler. Refer to Steering Column Filler Replacement
  3. Open the IP compartment door.
  4. Remove the screw from the left side of the IP cluster trim plate.

1. Remove the screw from the right side of the IP cluster trim plate.

1. If the vehicle is equipped with a front floor console, position the transaxle shift control lever to the rear most position.
  2. Remove the trim plate starting at the right side of the IP cluster and pulling rearward, continuing until all of the retainers are released.
  3. Disconnect the electrical connector from the hazard switch. IMPORTANT: Moderately twist the left side of the IP cluster trim plate in order to clear the cluster area from the instrument panel.
  4. Remove the IP cluster trim plate.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am not replacing the key switch on dash, but the electrical part of the key switch that controls fan, cruise,etc.
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
This is the info I sent. It is located directly behind the lock/key/tumbler. You have to pull the lock/tumbler out in order to unhook the ignition switch.All the info was sent for "Igntion switch" removing the key switch on dash is part of the job. Below is the igniton switch that controls everything when you turn the key/ the lock/key insert into it

graphic
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist