GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

I have a 2003 Impala, I believe that my headlight relay is

Customer Question

I have a 2003 Impala, I believe that my headlight relay is out, however, I can't figure out how to get to the part. The manual states that it is behind the fuse panal. How do I access the part to replace it?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.

Welcome. If I may, can we so some diagnosis first? If so, then lets start at one of the headlight assemblies. Take it out and use a section of wire to ground the dark blue for low and pink for high beam. If they come on, then we need to go next to the base of the steering column where these wires go into the dimmer switch and test them there. Also does the Flash to pass work?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The brights come on when I grd the blue wire. No the flasher do not work.
OK,a nd the pink wire for low beams
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I checked the pink wire and the lights come on also
Ok, this is odd then. The flash to pass, meaning pulling all the way back on the signal lever should make the high beams come on even with the relay out. Can you check it again to be sure.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Nothing happens when the flash to pass is operated.

OK, then we need to look at something else because the headlight relay only controls the regular lights and the flash to pass is not included in the operation of the relay. The relay is in the left dash fuse block. To be sure, see if it clicks when you turn the lights on. YOu need only remove the end cap of the dash to get at it.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Because it is on the back side of the fuse block, I have not been able to get to it. I will try to check the click sound to verify your suggestion.
OK, tho get at it, remove the lower trim panel. There are a few screws on the bottom then clips. DO not put it back on after you test because I believe we will be testing there more.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I could not hear the click, but I am in the yard and it has gotten dark, I have no-one to do things with me. Is it possible for you to work on this tomorrow, if not I understand. It sound as if I may have some major problems. I don't know just when the lights went out. I was on the interstate the other night when I found out that they were not working. Any suggestion that you might have would be appreciated. I will accept the cost in any case. With what you have stated, I am being lead away from the relay.

You can reply and I will assist as I can. The morning I am around but after lunch I will be offline as I have to take my son for some tests in the city.

I have a suspicion there is a fault in the dimmer switch in the steering column as the flash to pass does not work, or a fault in the wiring, and possibly even a bad BCM, but again that does not have anything to do with the flash to pass part.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX your name as Tim West, is that correct? How do I get to you tomorrow if you have the time?
No, I am Cam. You can simply reply to this post.