Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  38 Years of automotive repair experience. Technicial Assistant Specialist for OEM.
10906483

A 2006 hhr, how do you replace the wiper transmission..windshield

Customer Question

on a 2006 hhr, how do you replace the wiper transmission and get the blades to stop at the proper place on the windshield?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  MarkMax replied 4 years ago.
do you have just one blade that stops in the wrong place
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Both blades cycle to the bottom of the windshield and then move up and stop a few inches up the windshield
Expert:  MarkMax replied 4 years ago.

Take the wind shield wiper arms off by removing the hold down nuts and rocking wipers back and forth. Then remove the cowl panel or air inlet panel from there remove the whole wiper module. The park for the wipers is in the motor assembly. that is what will need to be replace.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I had a wiper transmission linkage fall apart and I replaced the wiper transmission. It just seems I didn't put the link back on the wiper motor in the right place but other than trial and error I don't know how you can tell if it's reassembled correctly to avoid the wiper blade resting too far up the windshield issue. I can't see why I should have to replace the motor.
Expert:  MarkMax replied 4 years ago.
ok, sounds like you just got it clocked wrong, pull it apart and retry again. your on the right track,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, but that leads us back to what is really my original question - how do I get it "clocked" right in one try without experimenting with all kinds of different positions to attach the link to the motor?
Expert:  MarkMax replied 4 years ago.

shut your wipers off in the park position, mark them on them on the shafts were they are, then just move the linkage to were they are down, I can't remember how many splines are on the motor but if you get it close you can set your wiper arms to where you need them. and I would try them before you put the cowl back on.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Answer is not clear as to how to make adjustment.
Expert:  Dj replied 4 years ago.
Customer

Turn the key on, then turn the wipers on.

Turn the wipers off but do not turn the key off.

The wipers will park, but the blades will not be down near the cowl like they should be.

Loosen the nut that holds the wiper arm to the stub that comes up through the body. You don't have to take the nut all the way off, just loosen it.

Wiggle and rock the wiper arm until it comes loose from the stub.

Rotate the wiper arm until it is at the park position.

Do the same with the other arm.

Turn the wipers back on and hit the washers. Then turn off the wipers and check the park position of the blades. You might have to adjust one or both just a bit to get it in the correct position, but they will be close if not spot on.

Dj

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
That solution doesn't work. It just allows the wiper to go even deeper into the cowl than it should. The wiper motor got out of sync with the transmission linkage when I replaced the transmission linkage. My problem is getting the linkage connected to the motor in the right position. The wiper now goes down to the park position and then goes back up a few inches when stopped so just moving the wipers to the park position means they go further downward when turned back on.
Expert:  Dj replied 4 years ago.
Customer

Did you ever remove the wiper arms from the stubs?

Dj

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Let me try explaining this another way. Looking at the wiper stubs from the front of the car, the wiper stub cycles on a clock face from 8 to 12 and then stop at 9 instead of at 8. If i remove the wiper arms with the wipers in the stop position at 9 and reinstall them to 8 it now means when i turn them back on the wipers cycle from 7 to 11. while they might stop at 8, there isn't room for them to go down to 7. My problem is getting the linkage put back on to the motor in the correct position without having to try every possible position.
Expert:  Dj replied 4 years ago.
Customer

I think I understand what is happening. But I need to know if this is going to take two adjustments or just one. If the wiper blades were taken off the stubs, it will take two adjustments. If they haven't been removed, it will only take one adjustment.

Dj

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I replaced the transmission so the blades were taken off the stubs.
Expert:  Dj replied 4 years ago.
Customer

Disconnect the linkage from the motor and take off the wiper blades. Turn the motor on and off with the wiper switch.

This will put the motor in the park position. Put the linkage back onto the motor. The crank will be either pointing to the extreme left or right, looking at it from the front. I think it's pointing toward the drivers side, but I don't have a picture so I can't recall. But with the motor parked, the blade stubs will be at the bottom of their sweep, which the extreme end of their travel.

This should synchronize the linkage to the motor. Test it by turning on and off the motor. Then with the wiper motor parked, attach the wiper blades so that the blades are parked.

You may be off one spline because there is no load when the wiper motor parks, but this is easy to adjust once you get close.

Dj

Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 38 Years of automotive repair experience. Technicial Assistant Specialist for OEM.