Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

2004 Chevy Cavalier with 2.2L Ecotech engine, How to replace

2004 Chevy Cavalier with 2.2L Ecotech engine, How to replace Driver Side Transaxle seal
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Hello, how are you trying to remove the seal?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have the new seal. The seal is in two parts - one seal the fits in the trans housing. The other part is round shape sleeve that fits on the trans output shaft.The round shape sleeve is not coming out, neither the seal. I am pulling the round sleeve with pliers, but it is sitting tight on shaft.

Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. You may want to consider just doing the seal. the sleeve does require a special tool to remove it. 95% of the time, the seal is all that is needed. Now.. hard to explain but you really just kind of hook the screwdriver over one edge and across and under the other edge and give a quick pop or pry and it will come out. the manufacturer says use driver and mallett basically tapping on it, etc to remove. many times we destroy the old seal prying it out. below are the book directions

Case Side Cover Seal Replacement

• Tools Required
  • J 41227 Output Shaft Sleeve Remover
  • J 41228 Stub Shaft Sleeve Installer
  • J 41102 Axle Seal Installer
Removal Procedure

Caution: Refer to Vehicle Lifting.

1. Raise the vehicle.
  2. Remove the drive axle assembly.

1. Use a medium screwdriver and a mallet in order to remove the case cover seal.

1. Remove the drive axle retaining clip from the output axle.

1. Use the J 41227 in order to remove the sleeve from the output axle shaft.
  2. Clean and inspect the seal bore.
  3. Use fine sand paper in order to remove any burrs or nicks. Clean the entire area after any sanding.
Installation Procedure

1. Use the J 41102 and a mallet in order to install the new case cover seal.

1. Use the J 41228 in order to install a new sleeve on the output axle. Install the J 41228 so that the collar is in the snap ring groove.

1. This step tests for low fluid level, which may cause slipping, and result in an incorrect gear ratio.
  2. This step verifies that the correct gear ratios occur for commanded gears.
  3. This step tests for low line pressure.
  1. Install the axle shaft retaining clip onto the output axle.
  2. Install the drive axle assembly.
  3. Lower the vehicle.
  4. Inspect the shaft sleeve for leaks.
  5. Inspect the transmission oil level.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
As I was trying to pull the sleeve out with the pliers. You think that may have damaged the sleeve. Or it is hard for the sleeve to get damaged
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Sorry for delay, had to log off early last night. You hvae a good question. I am unsure. If the sleeve is damaged in any way, you could have problems. If you just nicked the end of the sleeve etc and does not look too bad, you may be able to lightly file orsame the spot(s) and be ok. As long as the axle slides back in and the sleeve is in near? 100%, you may be ok. If you feel the pliers amy have done some large knicks or damage, you may? have to have the sleeve changed. I would be ablt ot tell more if i was looking at it. Sorry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

To remove the sleeve, it is a special tool. How it looks?

Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
It is a kind of puller since sleeve is pressed on

1. Remove the stub axle seal.

Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist