ASEMaster35yrs, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified since 1972,Master Auto tech,Heavy Truck Tech ,chev dealer tech

i have 454 block 14015445 date code i think E172 8 number

Customer Question

i have 454 block 14015445 date code i think E172 8 number on front pad TDS523195 came out of 1 ton dually not sure if original what can you tell me about this block
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 6 years ago.

this came out of a light duty 1975-1987 truck 454ci

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..i'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi can you tell me more the truck sounds right but is it a 2or4 bolt what kind of hp and torque also is it capable of good hp do the heads need to be changed in order to obtain this is this block a good starting place or should look for a older block thanks

this is all i have on this,,i will opt out and let one of the other guys help you

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i have asked for more info how much hp and torque does this engine is it a good bsae to start rebuild for good hp are the heads ok or should i go to aluminum head #'s are d12 78 passx gm12T 336781 can you help
Expert:  ASEMaster35yrs replied 6 years ago.

Give me the numbers and last three letters above the timing cover on the block and I can give you more information such as horsepower.

Date code: E 17 8 =May 17th 1978

Block casting number: 14015445.....454........78-90........2 or 4 bolt Truck

TDS523195=VIN serial number match this number to the vin on truck if original.

Head Casting number: 336781 454 73-85 Oval Port Open 113.0cc Valve size 2.06 intake, 1.72 exhaust

Big Block Chevy Cylinder Heads

Open vs. Closed Chamber - A good way to describe big-block heads is to categorize them as open or closed chamber. Closed-chamber cylinder heads have small combustion chamber volumes for high compression ratios, with even mildly domed pistons. Open chamber designs are larger and provide lower compression ratios, so require a much larger piston dome to achieve the same compression as a closed-chamber head.

Edited by ASEMaster35yrs on 1/26/2010 at 1:39 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hi the number on the pad by the timing cover is TDS523195 so you think i will need a bigger dome piston to get the comp. ratio up are these good heads or should i go to the more costly aluminum thanks

Aluminum heads are very expensive. You'd be better off getting a cheap set of closed chamber oval port heads to raise your compression. You will have to stick with oval port heads unless you intend to change your intake and exhaust manifolds as well.

Check out this article on how to build a performance 454 on a cheap budget.

Here's another good article:

You don't want to raise your compression above 10.5:1 or you'll become addicted to airports for fuel and octane booster.

Edited by ASEMaster35yrs on 1/26/2010 at 6:35 AM EST