Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering
2947720

05 chevy silverado 1500. 4x4 have a code po 650 what does it mean?

05 chevy silverado 1500. 4x4 have a code po 650 what does it mean? Thanks Bob
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

DTC P0650

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) is located on the instrument panel cluster (IPC). The MIL informs the driver that an emission system fault has occurred and that the engine control system requires service. The control module monitors the MIL control circuit for conditions that are incorrect for the commanded state of the MIL. For example, a failure condition exists if the control module detects low voltage when the MIL is commanded OFF, or high voltage when the MIL is commanded ON. If the control module detects an improper voltage on the MIL control circuit, DTC P0650 will set.

DTC DESCRIPTOR
This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:
DTC P0650 Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Control Circuit

CONDITIONS FOR RUNNING THE DTC

• The engine speed is more than 400 RPM .
  • The ignition voltage is between 6-18 volts .
  • DTC P0650 runs continuously when the above conditions are met.

CONDITIONS FOR SETTING THE DTC
The control module detects that the commanded state of the MIL driver and the actual state of the control circuit do not match for more than 5 seconds .

ACTION TAKEN WHEN THE DTC SETS
The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.

CONDITIONS FOR CLEARING THE MIL/DTC

• A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
  • A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
  • Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.

TEST DESCRIPTION

graphic

graphic

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

1. This step tests for a short to ground in the MIL control circuit. With the powertrain control module (PCM) disconnected and the ignition ON, the MIL should be OFF.
  2. This step tests for a short to voltage on the MIL control circuit. With the fuse removed, there should be no voltage on the MIL control circuit.

Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience: 29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks so much very helpful Bob
Your welcome and come again, anytime, thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes this ties into the eng light coming on and the 2nd code of po 455. I reset the codes and redid the gas cap as a start and the resetting the eng light is out and I will see if it comes on again. Thanks Bob
Your welcome Bob, and let us know if you ever need anything, thanks