Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Certified Technician, 25 Years Automotive Experience
16282319

97 chevy malibu: torque specs..tightening..an intake manifold

What are the torque specs. and tightening sequence for an intake manifold on a 97 chevy malibu with a 3.1
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

Hi and thanks for your question! I found the information you asked for.

Thank You Ken

Lower Intake Manifold Installation

Object Number: 843417  Size: SH

Important: All gasket-mating surfaces need to be free of oil, and foreign material. Use GM P/N 12346139 (Canadian P/N 10953463) or equivalent to clean surfaces.

1. Install the lower intake manifold gaskets.
  2. With gaskets in place apply a small drop 8-10 mm (0.31-0.39 in) of RTV sealer GM P/N 12346141 (Canadian P/N 10953433) or equivalent to the 4 corners of the intake manifold to block joint (1).
  3. Connect the 2 small drops with a bead of RTV sealer that is between 8-10 mm (0.31-0.39 in) wide and 3.0-5.0 mm (0.12-0.20 in) thick (2).
  4. Install the lower intake manifold.

5. Object Number: 187067  Size: SH

Notice: Maximum gasket performance is achieved when using new fasteners, which contain a thread-locking patch. If the fasteners are not replaced, a thread locking chemical must be applied to the fastener threads. Failure to replace the fasteners or apply a thread-locking chemical MAY reduce gasket sealing capability.

Important: All lower intake manifold bolts need to be cleaned, free of any foreign material, and reused only if new bolts are unavailable. Use GM P/N 12345382 (Canadian P/N 10953489) or equivalent and apply to the old intake manifold bolt threads.

Important: Manufacturer recommends the center bolts be fully torqued before the diagonal bolts to assure proper seal ability.

Important: Lower intake manifold bolts in location 6 and 7 should be torqued to specification using a crows foot type tool.

Notice: Use the correct fastener in the correct location. Replacement fasteners must be the correct part number for that application. Fasteners requiring replacement or fasteners requiring the use of thread locking compound or sealant are identified in the service procedure. Do not use paints, lubricants, or corrosion inhibitors on fasteners or fastener joint surfaces unless specified. These coatings affect fastener torque and joint clamping force and may damage the fastener. Use the correct tightening sequence and specifications when installing fasteners in order to avoid damage to parts and systems.

6. Install the lower intake manifold bolts.
    1. Tighten the lower intake manifold center bolts in sequence to 7 N·m (62 lb in) on the first pass.
    2. Tighten the lower intake manifold center bolts in sequence to 13 N·m (115 lb in) on the final pass.
    3. Tighten the lower intake manifold diagonal bolts in sequence to 13 N·m (115 lb in) on the first pass.
    4. Tighten the lower intake manifold diagonal bolt in sequence to 25 N·m (18 lb ft) on the final pass.
  7. Tighten

Object Number: 523326  Size: SH

8. Install the heater inlet pipe.
  9. Install the heater inlet pipe nut.
  10. Tighten
    Tighten the heater inlet pipe nut to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Object Number: 862487  Size: SH

Important: Do not press on the fuel pressure regulator valve when installing the fuel injector rail assembly.

11. Install the fuel injector rail assembly.
  12. 8.1. Install the fuel injector O-rings using GM P/N 12345616, (Canadian P/N 993182) or equivalent.
    8.2. Install the injector nozzles into the lower intake manifold injector bores.
    8.3. Press on the injector rail using the palms of both hands until the injectors are fully seated.
  13. Install the fuel injector rail bolts.
  14. Tighten
    Tighten the fuel injector rail bolts to 10 N·m (89 lb in).

Object Number: 187065  Size: SH

15. Install the fuel feed and return pipe retaining clip.
  16. Install the fuel feed and return pipe retaining clip bolt.
  17. Tighten
    Tighten the fuel feed and return pipe retaining clip bolt to 8 N·m (71 lb in).

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I need the tightening sequence and and torque specs. for both the lower and upper plenum
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

Upper Intake Manifold Installation

Object Number: 54358  Size: SH

1. Install the upper intake manifold gasket.
  2. Install the upper intake manifold.
  3. Install the upper intake manifold bolts.
  4. Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Object Number: 54670  Size: SH

5. Install the Coolant hoses to the throttle body.
  6. Install the EGR tube assembly to the right exhaust manifold.
  7. Install the EGR tube assembly nut.
  8. Tighten
    Tighten the EGR tube assembly nut to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

9. Install the electronic ignition control module and EVAP canister purge valve mounting bracket.
  10. Install the electronic control module nuts and bolts.
  11. Tighten
    Tighten both the nuts and the bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

12. Connect the spark plug wires to the spark plugs
  13. Install the generator braces.
  14. Install the generator brace nuts.
  15. Install the brace bolts.

16. Object Number: 54360  Size: SH

17. Install the MAP sensor.
  18. Install the MAP sensor screws.
  19. Install the MAP sensor electrical connector.
  20. Connect the vacuum lines to the upper intake manifold.
.
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: GM Certified Technician, 25 Years Automotive Experience