jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE .AUTO TECH FOR THIRTY-FIVE YRS,ELCTRICAL,FUEL INJECTION ETC.
8668911

1995 chevy s-10 super sport 4.3 vortec v-6 w code engine

1995 chevy s-10 super sport 4.3 vortec v-6 "w" code engine central port injection. has miss. worst at around 1500-1700 rpm under a load. can feel loss of power. have replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, coil, distributor cap, rotor button, plug wires, plugs. have added water remover, injector cleaner, upper cylinder lube to fuel. miss is not as pronounced at higher rpm. started cold engine, ran it about 2 minutes, felt exhaust manifold, middle cylinder on passenger side was noticably cooler than other 5 cylinders. help Barry
Category: Chevy
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 4 years ago.
hi is this showing any misfire codes as well ...guy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no there was only one code error and that was the cam positioning sensor. the check engine light was on when i bought the truck about a year ago, i had it tested then and it was the cam positioning sensor but i never repaired it because it ran great! two sundays ago i drove it to a friends house about 2 miles away and it ran great. icame home about 10:00am. and turned the ignition off it was still running good, no miss. It sat outside my garage for about 4 or 5 hours when i started it to put it in the garage it was missing and has missed ever since. About 3weeks ago it would not start and i smelled gas very strong, it finally started after a while and ran great. it has not done this again and i have never smelled gas again. it starts great right now whether the engine is hot or cold. when i put the new plugs in it the cylinder that was coolest had a wet plug.

graphicok ,you need to do a fuel injector test(balance test)with a fuel pressure gauge hooked up ,you need to ground each injector to see if they all drop the same on the gauge.one at a time and with turnning the key on each time you check each injector ,it could be a bad injector ...esp.the cylinder that had the wet plug ...guy ...a good scanner would be a good thing to use for this test .also here is a flow chart for checking the cam sensor and pertaining circuits

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION
The Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor is used to indicate camshaft position so that the Vehicle Control Module-A (VCM-A) can determine which cylinder is misfiring when misfire is present. It is also used to check for a properly installed distributor. DTC P0340 is a type "B" DTC.

DTC P0340 WILL SET WHEN
Engine running cam sensor reference pulse is not seen once every 6 cylinders. (incorrect ratio of cam to crank pulse).

ACTION TAKEN (VCM-A WILL DEFAULT TO)
The VCM-A will turn "ON" the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) (Service Engine Soon) after two consecutive driving cycles with the fault active.

DTC PO34O WILL CLEAR WHEN
The VCM-A will turn the MIL "OFF" after three consecutive trips without a fault condition present. A history DTC will be cleared if no fault conditions have been detected for forty warm-up cycles [coolant temperature has risen 22°C (40°F) from start-up coolant temperature and engine coolant temperature exceeds 71°C (160°F) that same ignition cycle] or the Tech 1 clearing feature has been used.

DTC CHART TEST DESCRIPTION
Number(s) below refer to circled number(s) on the diagnostic chart.

1. This step determines if DTC P0340 is the result of a hard failure or an intermittent condition.
  2. Determines if voltage is available to the CMP through the VCM-A.
  3. If the feed circuit is shorted to ground, the test light will be "ON." This step determines if the circuit is open or shorted to ground. If the circuit is OK, then the VCM-A connections or VCM-A is faulty.

DIAGNOSTIC AIDS
An intermittent problem may be caused by a poor connection, rubbed through wire insulation, or a wire that is broken inside the insulation.

Any circuitry, that is suspected as causing the intermittent complaint, should be thoroughly checked for backed out terminals, improper mating, broken locks, improperly formed or damaged terminals, poor terminal to wiring connections or physical damage to the wiring hamess.
graphic

jazzmaster, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE .AUTO TECH FOR THIRTY-FIVE YRS,ELCTRICAL,FUEL INJECTION ETC.