Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Certified Technician, 25 Years Automotive Experience
16282319

Is there any know problems with 2006 Chev. Silverado abs brake

Customer Question

Is there any know problems with 2006 Chev. Silverado abs brake system?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

Hi and thanks for your question! I have not see major problems with the brakes. I did a bulletin search for you and I did find two. I will send them to you. Please don't tell them where you got these, they do not like us helping you. They will come in a few posts.

Thank you Ken

Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

Subject:Antilock Brake (ABS) Activation At Low Speeds (Clean Wheel Speed Sensor Mounting Surface)

Models:2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade ESV
1999-2006 Chevrolet Silverado
2001-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
2002-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche
2003-2006 Chevrolet Express
2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic
1999-2006 GMC Sierra
2001-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL
2003-2006 GMC Savana
2007 GMC Sierra Classic
2003-2006 HUMMER H2

Condition

Some customers may comment on ABS activation at low speeds, usually below 8 km/h (5 mph). Upon investigation, the technician will find no DTCs set.

Cause

The cause of this condition may be an increased air gap between the wheel speed sensor and the hub reluctor ring due to rust and debris built up on the sensor mounting surface.

Correction

Measure AC voltage and clean the wheel speed sensor mounting surfaces.

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in the General Information sub-section of the Service Manual.
  2. Disconnect both the front wheel speed sensor connectors at the frame and harness.
  3. Place a Digital Volt Meter (DVM) across the terminals of each wheel speed sensor connector.
  4. Rotate the wheel clockwise approximately one revolution per second. The minimum reading should be at least 350 ACmV's. If the reading is less than 350 ACmV's, remove the wheel speed sensor. Refer to the applicable Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement procedure in the ABS sub-section of the Service Manual.
  5. Plug the wheel speed sensor bore in order to prevent debris from falling into the hub during service.
  6. Clean the wheel speed sensor mounting surface using a wire brush, sand paper, emery cloth, scotch brite, or other suitable material. Be sure to thoroughly clean the wheel speed sensor surface. There should be no rust or corrosion.
  7. Check the sensor head to determine if it has been warped/distorted due to the corrosion build up or other causes. Check the mounting surface on the sensor head for flatness by placing it on the edge of a metal machinists scale or other suitable straight edge to measure the flatness. Check the sensor for flatness in multiple (minimum 3) positions/directions. If the sensor head is distorted, replace the sensor.
  8. Apply (spray) two thin coats of the specified rust penetrating lubricant (corrosion inhibitor) to the complete sensor mounting surface on the bearing hub. Allow to dry for 3-5 minutes between coats. Use ONLY Rust Penetrating Lubricant, P/N 89022217 (in Canada, P/N 89022218).
  9. When the corrosion inhibitor is dry to the touch (about 10 minutes), apply a thin layer of bearing grease to the hub surface and sensor O-ring prior to sensor installation. Use ONLY Wheel Bearing Lubricant, P/N 01051344 (in Canada, P/N 993037).
  10. Install either the original sensor or a new one in the hub. Ensure that the sensor is seated flush against the hub. Refer to the applicable Wheel Speed Sensor Replacement procedure in the ABS sub-section of the Service Manual.
  11. Place the DVM across the sensor terminals and recheck the voltage while rotating the wheel. The voltage should now read at least 350 ACmV's.

Parts Information

Part Number

Description

Qty

89022217

(Canadian P/N 89022218)

(Package of 2 cans)

Rust Penetrating Lubricant

(Each can will service 50+ vehicles)

1

01051344

(Canadian P/N 993037)

(Package of 12 tubs)

Wheel Bearing Lubrication - Tub

(Each tub will service 25+ vehicles)

1

Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

Subject:ABS Light On, DTCs C0265, C0201, U1041 Set and/or Loss of Communication with Brake Module (Reground EBCM Ground)

Models:2004-2007 Buick Rainier
2002-2006 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade EXT
2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade ESV
1999-2007 Chevrolet Silverado Classic
2000-2006 Chevrolet Suburban, Tahoe
2002-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche
2002-2007 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT
2003-2006 Chevrolet SSR
1999-2007 GMC Sierra Classic
2000-2006 GMC Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL
2002-2007 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL, Sierra Denali Classic
2004-2005 GMC Envoy XUV
2002-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada

Condition

Some customers may comment that the ABS light is on. Upon further inspection, DTCs C0265 and C0201 may be set in the brake module. It is also possible for DTC U1041 to set in other modules. There may also be a loss of communication with the brake module.

Cause

A poor connection at the EBCM ground is causing unnecessary replacement of brake modules.

Important: The EBCM ground is different for each application. Refer to the list below for the proper ground reference:

Midsize Utilities = Ground 304
SSR = Ground 400
Fullsize Trucks and Utilities = Ground 110

Correction

Important: Do not replace the brake module to correct this condition. Perform the following repair before further diagnosis of the EBCM.

Perform the following steps to improve the connection of the EBCM Ground:

1. Remove the EBCM Ground. The EBCM Ground is located on the frame beneath the driver's side door. If multiple grounds are found in this location, the EBCM ground can be identified as the heavy (12-gauge) wire.
  2. If the original fastener has a welded on nut, remove the nut from the frame, and if required, enlarge the bolt hole to accommodate the new bolt and nut.
  3. Clean the area, front and back, using a tool such as a *3MTM Scotch-BriteTM Roloc disc or equivalent.
  4. Install the ground, then the washer and then the bolt to the frame.
  5. Important: It is important to use the bolts, washers and nuts specified in this bulletin. These parts have been identified due to their conductive finish.

6. Install a washer and nut to the back side of the frame.
  7. Tighten
    Tighten the nut to 9 N·m (79 lb in).

8. Cover the front and back side of the repair area using Rubberized Undercoating.

An additional check can be made to ensure a good connection for the battery cable to frame ground. It is possible for this ground to cause similar symptoms with the ABS as described above.

*We believe this source and their products to be reliable. There may be additional manufacturers of such products/materials. General Motors does not endorse, indicate any preference for or assume any responsibility for the products or material from this firm or for any such items that may be available from other sources.

Parts Information

FULL-SIZE TRUCKS, SUVs AND H2

Part Number

Description

11588564

Bolt

11609679

Washer

11609746

Nut

12378398

(in Canada, 10952414)

Rubberized Undercoating -- Paintable

29214

**3MTM Scotch-BriteTM Roloc disc

Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
Please remember to click "ACCEPTED" or I do not get compensated for helping you today. Thank You Ken