GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

2005 chevy: that keeps on blowing the trec fuse

Customer Question

I have a 2005 chevy silverado that keeps on blowing the trec fuse. What do I have to fix so this won't happen again?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.
Welcome. This fuse feeds the 4wd system so the issues is possibly a wiring issue between the module under the dash to the transfer case, a short in the transfer case, or possible even a wiring issue from that TREC fuse to the module under the dash. THe best place to start is a thorough inspection of the wiring in the areas I have mentioned. Take the plugs out of the module above the park brake pedal and see if there is any water in there.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I can usually get the switch to work one or two times before the fuse blows and when I replace the fuse it always goes intoXXXXX I don't know if that helps at all.

That leads me more to a module or actuator issue rather than a wiring issue. Still check the wiring to be sure.