Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech

1999 suburban: trouble code..runs great..heck..check engine light

Customer Question

Dear Sir, I am bringing up a trouble code of p0404, and it says exhaustgas recirculation,it is a 1999 suburban and runs great the light just annoys the heck out of me. Any explanation as to what this could be, and how to fix it would be much appreciated. I did reset the check engine light but it came back on in an hour. Any advice or ideas. Thank you so much in advance.
CHRIS OlSON, Black River Falls Wisconsin
BY the way I checked the gas cap!!!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
9 times out of 10 the egr is failing its self.and the egr valve needs to be replaced .but to confirm it. you are going to need a scan tool to perform some diagnosis to make 100% sure it is the egr valve.a scan tool with diagnostics capabilitys..not just a code reader
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank You very much,

I will try an egr valve, if that works I will send payment.It is only 6:30a.m, so it may be a while, again I hope this works and thanx for the knowledge.

Chris Olson

Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
ok let me know
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We still have not found out if the information given by your experts was helpful or not and have not put in any ACCEPT on any link or button provided, yet we have already been charged the $15.00 for this information. As far as I understand, it is a breach of the agreement you proclaim on your site. We hate to have to deal with this and do not feel comfortable with strangers removing funds from our account without any prior knowledge. Either respond promptly or we will need to take another route to deal with this gross negligence on your part. Thank you.
Expert:  Gary replied 6 years ago.
it is not me that did that..i don't get paid until you click accept, and i was waiting for your reply if the EGR valve did fix the truck.