George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years

anyone know how to program a remote key fob for a 2007 chevy malibu

Do anyone know how to program a remote key fob for a 2007 chevy malibu
Category: Chevy
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

A scantool that can communicate with the RCDLR (remote control door lock receiver) must be used to place the RCDLR in programming mode. The best scantool is the Tech2, some aftermarket scanners may be able to do this but not all. Most well equipped shops will have a TECH@

Here are the service instructions that have to be followed to program the fobs

Transmitter Programming

Important: All transmitters which are to be recognized by the remote control door lock receiver (RCDLR) must be programmed in a single programming sequence. If the system is placed in program mode it will erase all previously programmed transmitters upon the receipt of the programming signal from the first transmitter. Up to 4 transmitters can be programmed. Do not operate or program the transmitters in the vicinity of other vehicles that are in the keyless entry program mode. This prevents the programming of the transmitters to the incorrect vehicle.

1. Install a scan tool.
  2. Use the scan tool in order to access programming: Vehicle Control System/Computer Integrating System/Module Setup/BCM/Program Key Fobs.
  3. Press the START soft key on the scan tool. Important: The scan tool must stay connected until all of the transmitters are programmed.
  4. Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of 5-10 seconds , the scan tool will indicate that the transmitter is programmed.
  5. Repeat the previous step in order to program up to 4 transmitters.
  6. Remove the scan tool.
  7. Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

Please let me know if you have futher questions about this

Thank you

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years