ZZDaryl
ZZDaryl, Chevy Technician
Experience:  28 year experience, Master Mechanic
8994801

97 Chevy S10 Blazer. Nasty rattling noise from front right

Customer Question

97 Chevy S10 Blazer. Nasty rattling noise from front right of vehicle. I thought it was from in the dash at first, possibly the ECM. But then I realized mine has a PCM that's mounted under the hood, but yet on the same side. I've checked everything I can and tried to find something loose, but haven't. I have to hit a bump or hole or something and make the front right suspension move to create the rattle. I'm starting to think it's suspension related. When I hit a bigger bump, you can almost feel a 'jerk' through the body, as if a suspension part is worn or loose and has slack, causing this rattling noise. Please help! It's driving me nuts and it's time to do something about it. And if it is something in the suspenion, obviously it needs fixed anyway before it goes to far and something breaks.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 4 years ago.
Common parts on the front of this that would cause you noise are the sway bar links or the ball joints, without inspecting it there really is no way to know for sure which is the problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The lower ball joints and sway bar linkage(both sides) have been replaced. The only thing that hasn't is the upper ball joints. Could it possibly be something loose in the heater box housing( I think that's what it is) that juts out from the firewall on the right side of the vehicle in the engine compartment? I believe it houses stuff for the heater and/or AC? Thank you.
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 4 years ago.

It seems that you would need to hit a pretty big bump to get a rattle out of the AC/heater case. I would get the upper ball joints inspected to start with, especially if you are getting a jerking when hitting bumps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Alright. I will diffenently do that. As far as the front end goes though, my steering is still loose. It was horribly loose, but then I had the lower b.j.'s and pitman and idler replaced and that helped about 70% of it, but there's still looseness in it. I've narrowed it down to the gearbox that the steering shaft goes into. When I turn the wheel it responds instantly and it nice and tight down to the gearbox. And if I jack up the front end, and push one of the front wheels to turn it, all the parts are nice and tight and turn instantly also up to the gearbox. So I was curious what part or is there a joint or bushing or something that can wear out in the gearbox or something? Because the steering is still loose, and that's the only place that is allowing slack in the steering.
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 4 years ago.
Yes if there is a lot of looseness in the steering but no parts seem to be loose the problem is usually inside the gearbox. Typically these are not rebuildable they are just replaced.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I might just have to go that route and replace it then, because that's the only thing left really to tighten up the steering. One more quick discussion if you don't mind. I'm gunna get my 9 bucks outa ya, lol. I recently replaced the shocks also. After 113,000 miles, the original shocks should probably be replaced anyway,lol. So I put in Gabriel Ultra shocks. They seem to do the job ok, but they are nice and stiff you could say. They don't tend to seem to take out the shock of the vehicle, they kind of transfer it to the passengers(the exact opposite of what they should). I've put them on my pickup and they work fine, but not on my Blazer. What brand of shock would you reccomend to get the best ride for my blazer?? I'm thinking Bilstein after reading and doing my research and riding in a few vehicles that have had them. Thanks!
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 4 years ago.
Bilsteins are very good shocks but they are also way over priced and most people do not use them except on high end cars. I typically use KYB shocks they are a all round good shock and usually not to harsh.
ZZDaryl, Chevy Technician
Experience: 28 year experience, Master Mechanic
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Thanks for all your help!
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 4 years ago.
Thank you