George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

how do I disconnect the flexable transmission cooler lines

Customer Question

how do I disconnect the flexable transmission cooler lines that are leaking on my 03 chevy astro van
Category: Chevy
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

The spring clips are removed with a pick tool that you can bend out of a large paper clip. Just hook the clip and pull it out of the fitting and you can remove the line from the fitting by pulling straight back. Keep control of the clip as you remove and insert it as they like to fly off to never never land. You can get replacement clips at your local autoparts store but they are expensive ($4)

Here is the service information to remove the clips and lines

Transmission Oil Cooler Line Quick Connect Fitting

Removal Procedure

Important: Perform the following procedures when removing the retaining ring and cooler line from the quick connect fitting on the radiator and transmission.

1. Pull the plastic cap back from the quick connect fitting and down along the cooler line about two inches.

1. Using a bent-tip screwdriver, pull on one of the open ends of the retaining ring in order to rotate the retaining ring around the quick connect fitting until the retaining ring is out of position and can be completely removed.

1. Remove the retaining ring from the quick connect fitting.
  2. Discard the retaining ring.

1. Pull the cooler line straight out from the quick connect fitting.

Installation Procedure

Important:

• Do not reuse any of the existing oil lines or oil line fittings if there is any excessive corrosion.
  • Do not reuse any of the existing retaining rings that were removed from the existing quick connect fittings. All retaining rings being installed must be new.
  • Ensure the following procedures are performed when installing the new retaining rings onto the fittings.
  1. Install a new retaining ring into the quick connect fitting.

1. Hook one of the open ends of the retaining ring in one of the slots in the quick connect fitting.

1. Rotate the retaining ring around the fitting until the retaining ring is positioned with all three ears through the three slots on the fitting.

1. Do not install the new retaining ring onto the fitting by pushing the retaining ring.

1. Ensure that the three retaining ring ears are seen from inside the fitting and that the retaining ring moves freely in the fitting slots.

1. Install the cooler line into the quick connect fitting.
  2. Insert the cooler line end into the quick connect fitting until a click is either heard or felt.

1. Do not use the plastic cap on the cooler line in order to install the cooler line into the fitting.
  2. Pull back sharply on the cooler line in order to ensure that the cooler line is fastened into the quick connect fitting.

1. Position (snap) the plastic cap onto the fitting. Do not manually depress the retaining ring when installing the plastic cap onto the quick connect fitting.
  2. Ensure that the plastic cap is fully seated against the fitting.

1. Ensure that no gap is present between the cap and the fitting.

1. Ensure that the yellow identification band on the tube is hidden within the quick connect fitting.

1. A hidden yellow identification band indicates proper joint seating.
  2. Inspect and fill the fluid level as necessary.

© 2010 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.
Terms of Use

Let me know if you have further questions about this

thank you

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: GM Tech ASE Master Tech 15+ years
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

I see none of the images posted, lets try this again

Removal Procedure

2. Discard the retaining ring.

Installation Procedure

Important:

Terms of Use

Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Sorry I just saw your feedback, There is no need to drain the system just put a catch pan under the area and clean up after you are done then top off the trans if needed. (not often needed)